PS CC/CS6 3D rendering issue

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Firstly, thank you for all your help (Kaveman) from my previous post, helped me alot and got it solved:).

I now have a different issue, well, TWO issues. I have a macbook pro 15" ( just purchased 4 months ago ), with 750 HD, 16GB Ram 1600 MHz DDR3 and has TWO graphic cards :
Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 1GB of VRam ( total ) GPU Built-in
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of Vram ( total ) GPU PCIe
when i work on 3D rendering with ps cc, it scares me because my mac heats up so much that the growl alert popus up, heats up to almost 100% ( 97-98%).....is this normal? is there anything i could do to fix this ( apart from a cooling pad ) ?
now, the second thing.....and VERY STRANGE is :
when i purchased my mac, one of the graphic cards had 1gb of ram and the other had something like 384Mb of ram ( i think was the PCIe one ), now i just looked at the info from my mac, and it says both cards have 1024(1gb) of vram EACH. How can this be?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

LM

Reaction score
macbook pro 15"
this is not a 3D graphics workhorse, the Adobe software has no interest in looking after your Mac and can cause it to over heat. The Mac has sensors in it and will shut down when it reaches a critical temp.
that the growl alert popus up
do you mean a system notification or are you running 3rd party utilities too.
Intel HD Graphics 4000
is integrated with the CPU, it takes resources as needed.

Over all the discrete graphics cards run incredibly hot, on my 27" iMac doing 3D work the fans can go full blow, and it sounds like a jet. This is normal, but it's important to understand that it is possible to overheat them and all care must be taken to ensure full airflow and effective cooling.

Reaction score
1- Does this mean macbook pros are not suitable for 3d work?
2- it's a notification from Temperature Gauge ( paid version ).
3 - regarding the Graphic cards, how come ? I didn't know it would change to more vram itself...i had 384mb and now it says 1024 ( hasn't changed anymore )

Thanks again

LM

Reaction score
1- Does this mean macbook pros are not suitable for 3d work?
It just means you have to keep a close eye on the temperature, I do that on my 27" iMac. Just be aware it is at the top end of expectations.

2- it's a notification from Temperature Gauge ( paid version ).
So this is not a OSX warning, you can set the levels of the warnings. But yes 3D will make the graphics chip get really hot.

.i had 384mb and now it says 1024
I'm not sure where you got the 384mb as no models feature that size, they are 512 or 1024.

Reaction score
It just means you have to keep a close eye on the temperature, I do that on my 27" iMac. Just be aware it is at the top end of expectations.

I do, working on 3d it's ok, goes up to 60ºC with photoshop cc but the issue is when i render......as soon as i start, after just a few seconds it hits 80-90+, i get nervous and i stop the application :( i see the fans are still on 2000 RPM, but off course, i don't know if after awhile longer that's when the fans really start spinning.

[quote="So this is not a OSX warning, you can set the levels of the warnings. But yes 3D will make the graphics chip get really hot.[/quote]
Yes it is, i was adviced to use either SMCFanControl or Temperature gauge, even though temperature gauge is not free i prefer it, i don't know if i should set the levels of the warning much higher, i have it set to : Specific Sensor to - 95ºC and Computer average to - 80ºC.

[quote="I'm not sure where you got the 384mb as no models feature that size, they are 512 or 1024.[/quote]
Not sure anymore, i could have sworn that one of my graphic cards had less then 512mb but i see both of them have 1GB ( 1024Mb each )

Ask a Question