Project: Man Cave

Reaction score
Hey smarties!
I have been fixing up my garage for sometime now, and I am at the point where I need to start thinking about wireless networking.

I have an old big-screen TV that I plan on using as a monitor. It has an S-Video so connecting it to a desktop will not be a problem.

*Note. My garage already gets WiFi from my house and it isn't too bad.

I need a game plan on how to display the desktop from my Macbook onto the PC that is connected to the big screen.

Side Note. ---
I was thinking about getting another router and using it as a repeater so my whole garage has a strong signal. Hopefully, connecting an external HD to it so I could also access my media wirelessly.

But the main question here is: how to display wirelessly my Macbooks desktop to another computer.
Thanks guys! no rush here, but could really use some ideas.

Reaction score
Try this it maybe the answer your looking for !.

Code:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1551.html

Reaction score
It was only a suggestion to try and help Doc thats all, if your is better thats fine, great, the more the better !.

Reaction score
Hey, these forums are supposed to be about everyone giving the best suggestions they can, and then choosing the best one. One suggestion is no better than the rest.

Reaction score
Thanks Doc! I think your suggestion holds the most promise.

Now about backing up my media wirelessly..
Is it too much to ask? I'm looking for fast wireless transfer.

Originally looking at the My Book World Edition. It seems to have all the features I need. But the more I look into it, the more it looks like a piece of garbage.

I think I want a server.
I clearly need to be able to read the files. *But the catch is, I want to be able to transfer them at an acceptable rate. Am

I going in the right direction here?

Reaction score
You can use any network capable backup software to backup wirelessly. but as far as acceptable transfer rates go, that depends on the type of wireless connection, the distance it is from the WiFi acces point, and the limitations of the system/server. If you are looking at designing a backup server, you might want to look at OpenSolaris as your OS for the server, it's secure, stable and reliable. It also works off of the BSD kernel (Similar to mac) so it should be easy to make it work.

Ask a Question