Process a file and then move onto the next one

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a need which will require Automator to start with the first file in a folder and change the created date (Someone else has created a step to do that using the "Touch" command) and then wait a few seconds and then move onto the next file.

Is this possible in Automator?

Reaction score
I'm not sure I totally understand what you're asking for. If you try to be more specific, I think I could help. If this is linked to your other post about family videos, try to just explain what is currently happening and what you'd like to happen. I'll give it my best shot!

Reaction score
I have a bunch of videos which are not in the correct date order as they have been converted at different times and not in sequence. I'd like to arrange the files so they are in file order and then have automator cycle through the files one at a time and change the created date, then wait a little time and move onto the next one.

Reaction score
The first problem I see is that Automator can't know what the correct date for these files is, if they have been labelled with the wrong one.

With this issue in mind, and because I don't know how to 'pipe in' one file at a time in Automator, this is the best I can think of:

get specific finder items (pick the folder the videos are in)
get folder contents (incl. subfolders)
sort items (however you like)
Choose from list (get the first file on the list, for example)
(Your command that changes created date here)
move selected finder item (to a new folder somewhere)
pause (specify time to wait)
Loop

So this would keep prompting you over and over to select a new file from a shrinking list. I'm guessing this doesn't solve all your problems though, so what's missing from this workflow, do you think? I'm sure it can be done!

Reaction score
No need to loop, Automator will just work its way through the list of Finder Items

Ask a Question