Safari Web Content processes open for websites that aren't open in safari

Reaction score
So in activity monitor I've been noticing that there are multiple "safari web content" processes associated with websites that aren't currently open, nor have been in a long time if ever. Some of them are taking up good amount of memory at that.

I've tried force quitting them through activity monitor although they just keep reopening. I've tried clearing my history, emptying all my caches, running malware utilities, and resetting safari with no success.

Furthermore, flash will randomly will show as not responding in activity monitor along with random safari web content processes once in awhile which will impede the speed of my mac drastically.

FYI, I'm using a mid 2010 white unibody macbook with 8gb RAM and OSX 10.9.5 .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have tried quite a few remedies, with no success. A couple of questions:

1. Are you making backups to an external device?

2. Do you happen to have the file entitled "Install Mac OS Mavericks" somewhere on your machine (and hopefully also on a backup)? If you don't, you should be able to download it from the App Store (hopefully it is in your "Purchased" items).

3. What exactly does "flash will randomly will show as not responding in activity monitor" mean? Is that in reference to Adobe Flash Player? There have been some fairly recent posts about not using it, as most sites have been re-designed to function without a visitor having it installed (not saying that 100% correctly, but hopefully you get my "drift"). Here are some examples, via a google search of "do i need adobe flash player on my mac":

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=793&q=do+i+need+adobe+flash+player+on+my+mac&oq=Should+one+avoid+Adobe+Flash+Player?&gs_l=serp.1.3.0i71k1l8.0.0.0.10781.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.serp..0.0.0.sbadZgmSyWc

I actually got rid of it quite a while ago, and only in some rare instances does a site say I need it (I use Google Chrome most of the time, along with Opera).

I'm wondering if your issue is somewhat due to the use of Adobe Flash Player. But even if you successfully remove it, that might not be enough. If you decide to do that, it would be good if you first download the excellent freeware program, AppCleaner, from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It works very well. All you would need to do is to install AppCleaner, launch it, and then drop the icon for Adobe Flash Player (should be in your Applications Folder) onto it. AppCleaner should find just about all the files associated with Adobe Flash Player, including the ones "connected" with Safari.

If that still does not work, then it might be time for an Erase/Format of your internal drive, then a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.9.5 (that is one reason why I asked the question in #2 above). To do that, though, you'll need a "clean" backup. Do you have anything critical on your internal drive?

Reaction score
Sounds like you have tried quite a few remedies, with no success. A couple of questions:

1. Are you making backups to an external device?

2. Do you happen to have the file entitled "Install Mac OS Mavericks" somewhere on your machine (and hopefully also on a backup)? If you don't, you should be able to download it from the App Store (hopefully it is in your "Purchased" items).

3. What exactly does "flash will randomly will show as not responding in activity monitor" mean? Is that in reference to Adobe Flash Player? There have been some fairly recent posts about not using it, as most sites have been re-designed to function without a visitor having it installed (not saying that 100% correctly, but hopefully you get my "drift"). Here are some examples, via a google search of "do i need adobe flash player on my mac":

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=793&q=do+i+need+adobe+flash+player+on+my+mac&oq=Should+one+avoid+Adobe+Flash+Player?&gs_l=serp.1.3.0i71k1l8.0.0.0.10781.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.serp..0.0.0.sbadZgmSyWc

I actually got rid of it quite a while ago, and only in some rare instances does a site say I need it (I use Google Chrome most of the time, along with Opera).

I'm wondering if your issue is somewhat due to the use of Adobe Flash Player. But even if you successfully remove it, that might not be enough. If you decide to do that, it would be good if you first download the excellent freeware program, AppCleaner, from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It works very well. All you would need to do is to install AppCleaner, launch it, and then drop the icon for Adobe Flash Player (should be in your Applications Folder) onto it. AppCleaner should find just about all the files associated with Adobe Flash Player, including the ones "connected" with Safari.

If that still does not work, then it might be time for an Erase/Format of your internal drive, then a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.9.5 (that is one reason why I asked the question in #2 above). To do that, though, you'll need a "clean" backup. Do you have anything critical on your internal drive?

1) Yes I backup using time machine onto a external HD regularly
2) I know I have a copy of Mavericks on my external HD
3) I meant that when looking at the processes running in activity monitor I sometimes find that the process named "Flash Player"(which is generally running when I'm playing a video online) is highlighted red and there's a message stating it's not responding.

Thanks for the info, I'll first try getting rid of Adobe Flash Player. Though, I use Memory Cleaner X to monitor my RAM usage and lately I'll notice the percentage used will shoot up to 100%, even when I'm simply just looking at a couple websites. I've found that when this occurs if I open activity monitor there will be many "safari web content" processes open for websites that are no longer open and haven't been open in some time. I've found that if I erase all website data from safari preferences and delete browsing history that this issue is temporarily solved.

Thanks for any suggestions, info you have given me. I appreciate it very much.

Ask a Question