Problem with my Desktop

Reaction score
Alright, I have been using macs since 1994, and this is the first time I've ever had a problem this baffling.

Every minute or two, all the items, including all hard drives, all folders, all discs, and anything else on my desktop, fades away, leaving the desktop completely empty. After a second, everything fades back, but I go from whatever program I was using to the finder, which has made it utterly impossible to use photoshop and incredibly annoying to do anything else.

I'm using a G5 with dual 1.8 GHz and Leopard 10.4.10

If anyone out there knows what's going on, please help me.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Okay, I now see that what's happening is the Finder is relaunching itself every minute or so, but I still have no idea as to why this is happening :confused:

Reaction score
Try creating a new user account and report back whether this has stopped this issue.

We will then know if the problem is system wide or user specific.

Mac OS 10.4.10 is still Tiger BTW.

Reaction score
Hello, If you have Stuffit Deluxe 11.0.2 installed on your Mac this could possibly be the culprit. If not, repairing permissions and running Disc Warrior never hurts. You could also try deleting the Home/library/preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and the .DS_Store file on your desktop.

Ask a Question