Problems adding image thumbnails to desktop files

Reaction score
Hi,

My desktop is looking pretty bleak at the moment because I am having problems adding image files to desktop items. Usually, one would option click the file or folder on the desktop > Get info, and then drag the image you want to the image box in the top right hand corner.

For some reason i keep getting the standard missing jpeg icon there (see attachments).

Can you think of any way to stop this happening? I have tried a variety of files and none seem to work! Is there a particular way a file has to be prepared before it is to be used as an icon for desktop files? I use photoshop so can prepare image files in any way, i just need to know how!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Reaction score
oh yes! sorry- new here!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 10.53.35.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 10.53.35.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 291
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 10.54.06.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-28 at 10.54.06.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 331

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The file you attached seems to be a URL .... are you trying to modify an icon on your Desktop with that? Which icon are you trying to change and where is the image you are using?

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. No, it applies to all icons on desktop. If i want to change the appearance of a folder on my desktop it will not let me either if i drag and image to the place to change it.

Would you be able to talk me through how to change this appearance?

Thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I can't understand why you are having problems ... the method you use is fine ... although you mention
option click
where it's actually Control-click but that's prob just a typo ...

So what are you using as a replacement icon for the folder? You just can't use any image file ... you need to find a suitable replacement usually you would download an icon set or something from a website ... ??

Reaction score
Yes correct ctrl click! (amateur)!

Basically i am just using any old jpeg- I've seen other people doing it and so was confused as to why i could not.

Would you be able to tell me how to set up an image in order to make it compatible? resolution, number of pixels and file type e.g. etc?

thanks for this by the way

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm a bit rusty ... apparently you CAN use any old image file!

Try this:

• [*]Open the image in Preview
    [*]Chose Edit ~> Select All (Cmd + A)
    [*]Choose Edit ~> Copy (Cmd +C)
    [*]Now perform a “Get Info” on the Folder
    [*]Select the Folder icon at the top left and and press Cmd + V

And it's no problem ....

AFAIK, the method you outlined earlier only works if the image you are dragging onto the folder icon in the upper left of the target folders Get Info window IF the dragged image is a compatible icon file

Reaction score
BINGO!!! Excellent work! the old copy paste rather than drag and drop.

Thanks very much for your help!!

Sam

Ask a Question