Problem with Mac Help Viewer

Reaction score
I am a recent Mac convert and I was trying to use the Mac Help and the search and links on the first page don't seem to work. I tried the other help files for Safari and what not and they seem to work fine. I pulled up the Console to see if I could figure anything out and this is what is says when I click on any of the links on the Mac Help.

2005-12-22 17:34:29.143 Help Viewer[210] Uncaught exception - *** End of archive encountered prematurely at 400
2005-12-22 17:34:29.143 Help Viewer[210] *** Attempt to remove unrecognized exception handler 0xbfffdd20

I tried rebooting and it still doesn't work, I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

We've all been on holiday !

Are you still having problems ? If so what version of OS X are you using ?

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
I've gotten a little further but not much. I got some help from another site that had me delete some files

~/Library/Preferences/
com.apple.helpviewer.plist
com.apple.help.plist

and

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/

After doing that I was able to get any of the links on the first page of Mac OS Help but once there none of the links in the sub categories worked. If I quit the help program then I am back to where I began and can't get past the first page without removing those files.

I am using OSX v10.4.3

Hope you had a Merry Christmas, have a good new year.

Ric

Reaction score
Apologies again, and Happy New Year !

First try and create a new user !

See if the mac help viewer works in that.

Can I just check, did you delete the directory ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/

That one normally works ;-)

Let me know how you get on with the new user account...it may be time for an Archive and Install...this sometimes fixes the relevant problems a lot quicker.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
HI , having the exact same problem running OS X 10.4.3

I tried the above solutions and still the links after the first page don't respond. Other apps seem fine when using help viewer..

Any solutions yet?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Max63126 and welcome !

So if I have understood correctly...

...all the links in the image below work, but once you have clicked on any of them the links on the next pages don't work ?

helpviewer01.jpg

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Also can you both open Help Viewer and then go to the about "Help Viewer" in the menu bar and let me know what version you have ?

hepviewerinfo.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hello to all,
I'm having the exactly the same problem running OS X 10.4.3
new powebook g4
I already did all sugestions above
no result
:(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there bimbachi and welcome !

what version is your Help Viewer ? (and the bit in brackets)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
You are correct on both things.
That was a directory that I deleted
and...
the links on the image you posted work, but once on any next page they don't. That is only right after those files/directory are deleted. If I quit help and open it back up I can't even get past the first page again.
My help viewer version is. 3.0.0 (144.1)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi aaroc357

a few more things to try...

These are in no order.

1) Boot from your OS X Install CD/DVD and run the Disk Utility to repair the disk and permissions.

Then reboot and try again.

2) Download Pacifist and re-install the Help Viewer Application from your install DVD.

(if you go down this route I'll give you a couple of screengrabs to help along the way)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Same version here, Version 3.0.0 (144.1) And today when I tried to open it, I didn't even get to the first page (the one you posted Ric) like i did before.

Today it's blank! Tiger 10.4.3 Imac G5

Reaction score
hi,
my help version is 3.0.0 (144.1) and loged as new user help works?
Picture 3.png

Ric said:
Hi there bimbachi and welcome !

what version is your Help Viewer ? (and the bit in brackets)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I went through all cleaning again
Cleaning cache - solved problem
Thank you all
And specially Ric
:)

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread: I had similar "Help Viewer" problems (where I couldn't view the "TextEdit Help", neither from "TextEdit > Help > TextEdit Help" nor from "Help Viewer > Library > TextEdit Help")... removing the "~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/" cache directory solved the problem for me.

Regards,

pvandenberk

PS - I got slightly different error messages in the console; I've copied them below so that other's can find this most useful thread through their favourite search engine:

2006-02-01 10:03:17.375 Help Viewer[18964] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception '*** End of archive encountered prematurely at 399' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 37e260 and selector '_setupTOC'
2006-02-01 10:03:21.370 Help Viewer[18964] *** End of archive encountered prematurely at 399

--

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Glad you got it working.

Thanks for the error post, I'm sure Google will pick it ! (It seems to be my friend at the minute ;-))

regards

Ric

Ask a Question