Big macbook pro problem please help!

Reaction score
I have a early 2011 unibody Macbook Pro 13 inch with a 500gb hard drive and an icore7 processor.

Around 4 months ago my kid spilled a very tiny amount of liquid onto my macbook pro keyboard. About 4 of the keys stopped working. I sent it into IresQ and by the time they got it only 2 keys were not working. They replaced the top case, and when I got it back I had no issues. About 2 weeks ago randomly my trackpad decided it wanted to go insane. It was randomly right clicking everything and moving by itself. After 3 hours on the phone with apple they said it needed to be replaced( i have yet to get it replaced due to traveling). Now tonight suddenly my computer froze, and when I went to restart it I got the white screen with the file that has a question mark. I did the disk installer, and when it gets to the part of telling me to select a drive to install mac osx there is no drive listed. I called apple support, and they said more than likely the hard drive needs to be replaced and possibly the logic board.

So, here is my situation. I currently live in italy due to being stationed here. The closet store is about 2 hours away. Not to mention I speak no italian. I know that IresQ is an apple approved repair service. I have never told apple that I had anything replaced because at the very least I wanted to still get phone support. Here are a few questions I have:

Will they be able to tell at the apple store that I had the entire top case replaced?

If they can tell and i am upfront and say I had the top case replaced due to water damage will that void my warranty completely even if it was with an apple approved repair shop?

Is there any way to tell if it just the hard drive and not the logic board also?

I dont want to drive the 2hrs and 30 min to get to the apple store and them just tell me they won't fix it or they have me leave it with them for a week just for them to have me drive another 2 1/2 hours for them to give me back my broken mac. So is it at all possible they won't be able to tell the top case has been replaced?

If none of these are viable options please let me know of any you might know of. Also, I have read that basicly if you have to get the logic board + plus hard drive replaced out of your own pocket you might as well just buy a new one because the cost is outrageous is this true?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Will they be able to tell at the apple store that I had the entire top case replaced?
If IresQ used Apple parts, yes, its all tied to your S/n.

Is there any way to tell if it just the hard drive and not the logic board also
You say its booting from the DVD so it's probably not the Logicboard.

I'd find a translator and go to the nearest Apple Service Centre, it doesn't need to be Apple, replacing a HDrive is not a big job. But with the Floods in Asia the price of drives has gone up.

Given that the Logicboard IS the computer the cost is a good portion of a new computer, but I don't think it's that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there are no apple service centers anywhere even remotely close to me. The only thing is the apple store in bolonga. I was going to replace the track pad myself I already ordered the parts but with the hard drive out now too I don't even know. Living in the states would make this a billion times easier :(

Reaction score
I did a search and that is all stores you can buy but they don't fix them. Apple found it odd there were no apple approved repair places other than the apple store here also. There use to be one guy who did it but he moved. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Update- So I went to the store and they replaced everything under my apple care plan in under 2 hours. I don't know if they didn't notice or what but either way i am one happy chick! thanks again

Ask a Question