Mail is the biggest disk space hog. What the hell is it doing?

Is Mail worth using on your MacBook [Pro]?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Ya know, I've even got it all set up to omit attachments from offline viewing. All it should be is a bunch of text & maybe some pictures. I don't know what indexing and all that crap is, but 39GB just for messages? Yes, I'm running on Mountain Lion b/c I'm too lazy to upgrade, but still. Do newer releases fix this?

I don't even see the point of opening the Mail application anymore.

Is Thunderbird better?

Might as well just open mail from the respective Web sites. It's just dumb otherwise.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

39 GB does sound like quite a bit of space for emails without attachments.

-How many email accounts are setup?
-Do you happen to have a Gmail account setup in Mail?
-How many years/number of messages are we talking about?

Thunderbird isn't necessarily better, just different. It is more like Entourage/Outlook, which are not my personal favorites.

C

Reaction score
I don't use Apple's Mail program, preferring Outlook 2016. Given how much of a disk space "freak" I am, I know how to permanently have deleted EMails permanently removed (I did the same when I had Outlook 2011, although the procedure was different. So, wonder if a lot of that space is being taken up by deleted EMails that are still around. This link explains how to permanently remove deleted EMails:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22308?locale=en_US

Ask a Question