Problem with excel on Mac

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm having an issue with my 2020 iMac. Wet opening excel application of office 365 a window is popping up saying the file has been corrupted. Also when I try to open a recent on file it is greyed out. It seems it is trying to open up PDF files. The same files open on MacBook no problem. I have tried to reinstall excel and deleted lots of old files. Also it seems dropbox is linked to every file on the Mac despite files being in the downloads folder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 16.18.44_Redacted.pdf
    88.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 16.21.11.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 16.21.11.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm having an issue with my 2020 iMac. Wet opening excel application of office 365 a window is popping up saying the file has been corrupted. Also when I try to open a recent on file it is greyed out. It seems it is trying to open up PDF files. The same files open on MacBook no problem. I have tried to reinstall excel and deleted lots of old files. Also it seems dropbox is linked to every file on the Mac despite files being in the downloads folder. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
First try opening the same file with Numbers. Make sure the file is located outside of Dropbox. I’ve had some problems with Dropbox lately and have disabled it for now. If the file does open in Numbers, do a File -> Export to -> Excel… and give it a different filename so as to not overwrite the original Excel file.

If Excel is still unable to open the new file, you may have to rebuild Launch Services and also purge Excel from your system by using an app cleaner utility such as AppCleaner.app. Since you have Office 365, you should then be able to reinstall Excel. You will have to rebuild your default Excel settings.

Ask a Question