Printer Error

Reaction score
I am assuming this is an OS problem. MacBook Pro, 13", Mid 2012 running 10.8, belongs to a classroom teacher. Trying to print to an networked HP LaserJet 400 M401dne which has a static IP address. Regardless of type of document, all it prints is three lines:

"
**@PJL SET JOBATTR="JobAcct3=HA--Davis-MBP.local"
*******************************************@PJL SET JOBATTR="JobAcct4=20160

(Looks like this, but no stars - each line is offset to begin where the previous line left off)

I tried running software update to make sure it has the latest drivers. HP Printer Update 3.1 did install.

I tried deleting the printer from the printer list and recreating it. I tried using Line Printer Daemon, HP Direct Socket, and Internet Printing Protocol. I went into the Library folder and deleted the PDF and rebuilt it again. Nothing changed, just get the same three lines.

No idea what to try next. I figure it's a messed up .plist or other system file somewhere, but not sure where to look.

Oh, and it's not the printer because other people print to it just fine.

The affected MBP used to print to it just fine also, and one day just started with the @PJL nonsense.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

In addition to the troubleshooting you have already done, have you tried this:

Reset the printing system on your Mac

***NOTE: This will delete all printers that are setup on the Mac.

Also, do you know the exact way the printer is setup and shared on the network?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

In addition to the troubleshooting you have already done, have you tried this:

Reset the printing system on your Mac

***NOTE: This will delete all printers that are setup on the Mac.

Also, do you know the exact way the printer is setup and shared on the network?

C
No, I did not perform a total reset, as she has several other printers - some of them not district owned - in her list. I will ask her if she is willing to rebuild her printers from zero.

The printer is connected to the network by Cat6 cable, and has a static IP address configured specifically to the school's subnet. Other people can print to it without difficulty, and I can access it via its IP number from my work station at the administration building, which is on a different subnet. In short, the printer works just fine. The problem is definitely with the MBP.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That is basically a dump of the Printer Control Language. Many times that is caused by corrupted printer driver installs.

-Is this for every file on her Mac, including printing emails from Apple Mail, PDFs, Word documents, etc.?
-Does it print normally to the other printers?
-Is print job language turned on for PostScript jobs in the printer's JetDirect settings?
-Did the user accidentally install the drivers from a disc or a download from HP over the top of the Apple HP Printer Update at some point? If you then reinstall the Apple drivers, something may have been left behind/not overwritten.
-Have you tried printing from that Mac using another local user account?
-There was an HP firmware release for that printer back in December - HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility - Version:20150212 (11 Dec 2015).
-So, the printer is simply connected to the network via Ethernet and setup using a static IP and it's internal print server, correct? No network print spoolers, servers, configurations, AD bindings, etc.?

The printing system reset may/should fix it, but at the expense of the other setup printers.

C

Reaction score
The user tried the reset printers idea, and it did not work. Still gets the same three lines of output.

1: Any document which she tries to print results in the same three lines. I tries a Word document, a PDF, and a web page myself.
2: No, though I was unable to try all the printers in her list because they were not local.
3: No.
4: No.
5: Yes, all district computers have a tech services account. Printing from that account yielded the same output.
6: Yes, the printer is running straight off its build in jetdirect card. There are no other poolers, servers, configurations or bindings involved. I have set up literally hundreds of printer lists on district network printers, at least a dozen to print on the printer in question, and never seen this problem before. (obviously.)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information. I haven't see this issue myself, that your troubleshooting hasn't been able to correct.

-Does the user have a Time Machine or other backup?
-After you reset the printing system, have you tried setting up another networked printer to ensure it works properly?
-Maybe try the last part of this document - renaming the Library/Printers folder to remove all printer drivers: Get help resolving printer issues on your Mac

C

Ask a Question