Previous owner's name needs to go

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook pro OS X on ebay, however the owner had already used it and put everything in his name. I changed the computer name and administrator name, but there are still things where his name pops up, like iChat and when i go to my hard drive and select users his name shows up as the only user and i dont know how to change it. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Hello,
I'd recommend going back to eBay and purchasing the appropriate OS X installation discs and doing an "erase and install" of the operating system.

Reaction score
it came with two discs a Mac OS X install DVD and a Applications Install DVD. do you think i would be able to get everything back with those two if i deleted it all?

Reaction score
You will have to format your hard disk, use disk Utilities to format it then install you new OS X and software
Create a new user and give it admin privileges.

Reaction score
it came with two discs a Mac OS X install DVD and a Applications Install DVD. do you think i would be able to get everything back with those two if i deleted it all?

Well, of course you'll have to back up your personal files if you have some to back up and place them on your Mac after the "erase and install". As far as the applications are concerned, which applications are on the Application's Install DVD? If they are third party apps, you might want to check if they come with serial numbers and hope they're not loaded with malware.

Ask a Question