Previous System In Trash?

Reaction score
I was using beta system software and switched back to 10.12.6.
Everything works just fine.

The trash has "Previous system" folder in it and does not delete when empty trash is used.

Is that the new normal way we go, or have I goofed up something?

Reaction score
I have never used a beta release of Mac OS software (nor any other product, for that matter), but I would suspect getting completely rid of that beta release is just like doing a "complete" upgrade to a any version of the Mac OS:

1. Hopefully one has a backup of their system comprising the prior, non-beta system.

2. Depending on what "kind" of backup one has, need to run Disk Utility in an "isolated" manner to Erase and Format the volume/applicable partition.

3. Next, perform a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of the desired Mac OS.

4. Finally, use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from the backup I mentioned in #1 above.

Doing all that with a Time Machine backup is OK, but it is definitely "labor intensive". Myself, I am a strong advocate of using SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) for my backups. It creates a bootable clone of one's system, and in fact, it is just about like having another machine! (Carbon Copy Cloner (https://bombich.com/) is a similar, excellent product).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

If your happy using terminal then try the following command, but if not then stay well away from terminal, and first do a full back up.

Type sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/Previous\ System

Remember you will be asked for your Administrator password, and the password will not echo to the screen ;) as you type it.

Reaction score
Hi,

If your happy using terminal then try the following command, but if not then stay well away from terminal, and first do a full back up.

Type sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/Previous\ System

Remember you will be asked for your Administrator password, and the password will not echo to the screen ;) as you type it.

Never knew something that "simple" was available!

Ask a Question