Preparing 10.5.8 macbook for sale without disks

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can give me a definitive answer as my attempt to research this has been really confusing.
Im preparing my friends white macbook for sale, and want to properly wipe it with a 7 pass erase, and install a fresh OS. I don't really care which one. The problem is that its currently running 10.5.8, and all the instructions I can find tell me I need to use the original disks, which I don't have. I have bought Yosemite on my apple account and so I have a bootable USB installer, but this doesn't work for 10.5.8.
Is there any way around this, could I download an ISO, and if so, which OS should I use, and where is safe to download from?

Many thanks
B

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Are you near an Apple Store? They can usually install OS X for you.
-How did you create the bootable USB installer of Yosemite?
-Do you have access to another Mac? If so, you could try this: DiskMaker X
-Which exact model of MacBook - does it support Yosemite?

C

Reaction score
Hi Corey, thanks for replying.
Since I posted, I was able to find a friend to burn a 10.6.8 DVD. I managed to erase the drive using Disk Utility, but now SL won't finish the install, I get 'The installer could not copy the necessary support files'. So stuck again. Its a macbook 2,1

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

-Are you still stuck?
-Was your friend's install disk a retail copy? There never was a 10.6.8 version.
-Do you have an Apple Store close to you? They should be able to re-install Snow Leopard for you.

C

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks Corey. No I used an iso, it wasn't straightforward (needed to use an external dvd drive for some reason)but I got there in the end.
Thanks a lot
B

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No problem...glad you resolved the situation. Thanks for letting us know.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question