PowerMac G4 not booting-up.

Reaction score
Hello there.
I have a PowerMac g4 1ghz. That's not booting-up.
It stops on a silver screen with an apple in the midle.
After many tryings on booting from the CD with the Apple Hardware test disk inside I got no results.
Then I decided to disconnect the hard drive; now I have a blue screen with a question mark.
When I reboot pressing the "C" key, it goes to the menu, but does not show anything.
If I press shift, it goes to the blue screen.
I think the problem is in the logical board.
There in no devices connected to the computer.
The battery is brand new.

Please, I need some clues. Help me out.

Thanks.

Eduardo Lima

Reaction score
How old is the computer?
What OS is it running? (10.3? 10.4?)
Has any software been added recently?
Anything been deleted?

You mentioned holding down the C key to boot... were you successful in booting to a CD?

Is there a SCSI card in your G4? (Whether or not there's a SCSI device connected to the SCSI card I've seen it cause this kind of problem)

Had it been doing anything weird before deciding not to boot? (Randomly freezing up, applications quitting, running slow, lines showing up on screen where they shouldn't be, or anything else out of the ordinary)

Blue screen with flashing question mark means it can't find a valid system to boot from... Gray screen with Apple means it's found a valid system, so, put things back to how it was when you were getting the gray screen with the Apple, then try booting the computer in Verbose mode. Hold down command-v while it's restarting... Instead of getting the gray screen with the Apple where it was getting stuck at, you will get a black screen with white type... If the computer is getting stuck somewhere particular on startup it'll show up in verbose mode, usually with some sort of repeating message or error of some sort... it'll usually be pretty obvious if it's getting stuck on something specific...

Ask a Question