booting a Powermac G4 M8493

Reaction score
I just was given a Powermac G4 M8493. The battery was dead, so I had to buy a new one. The hard drive on the system was also wiped clean.

Someone else gave me a Tiger OS disk to install.

I am able to insert the disk into the CD Drive, and I booted the machine ... I even held down the C (?) key.

All that happens when I start up the system is that I get a folder in the center with a Happy Face.

How do I load CMOS settings on the system? Is there a magic key-sequence?

Please help this PC-brainwashed person "see the light" and leave the dark-side and make a leap into the world of Apple.

Valerie
PS - I am extremely well-versed in PC-based hardware and software.

Reaction score
I just was given a Powermac G4 M8493. The battery was dead, so I had to buy a new one. The hard drive on the system was also wiped clean.

Someone else gave me a Tiger OS disk to install.

I am able to insert the disk into the CD Drive, and I booted the machine ... I even held down the C (?) key.

All that happens when I start up the system is that I get a folder in the center with a Happy Face.

How do I load CMOS settings on the system? Is there a magic key-sequence?

Please help this PC-brainwashed person "see the light" and leave the dark-side and make a leap into the world of Apple.

Valerie
PS - I am extremely well-versed in PC-based hardware and software.
Hello, when you booted up with your Tiger installation disc, did you keep the "C" key down from the beginning of the chime to the appearance of the "spinning gear"?

Ask a Question