Powermac G4 Boot Help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My friend has recently bought a second hand powermac G4. The hard drive has been replaced so there is no operating system loaded onto it. I am unsure of the specs.

Whenever he turns the mac on, he see's a blinking question mark sign which turns to a smiley face. I downloaded a MAC OSX Tiger Apple Image [DMG] file and burned it to disc. He put the disc into the drive but it didn't do anything, still the question mark. How can he boot with the disk?

Please bare with me I am new to mac's.

Any help appreciated :)

Reaction score
Where did you download the operating system from? We cannot advise if the software is not legitimate.

Your friend needs to buy a legitimate version of the full operating system and then we can advise.

Reaction score
He has a copy of the original Mac OSX Tiger CD, but this doesnt do much either. I tried burning the downloaded one to DVD and still the same thing. Neither of them seem to boot. How can he boot from CD/DVD? I've heard things about pressing 'C' while the mac starts up but he's also tried this with no joy.

Any help appreciated :)

Reaction score
An original copy that came with the machine will boot by pressing C and keeping it pressed. An illegal ISO is highly likely not to boot by this or any other method.

Ask a Question