Power Mac G4 won't power on

Reaction score
My Finacee has a PowerMac G4 Model M5183. 466Mhz w/1M cache, 128M Sdram, 30G HD/CD-RW that worked fine the other day and now won't power up. The power button will light when you push it but won't stay on and there isn't any "whirr" to indicate it's actually getting power to the unit. I've disconnected, pulled the power supply, cleaned out, re-seated cards etc....The guy @ CompUSA says it could be the power supply? I've searched ebay and others for a power supply but not sure I'm considering the proper one. My best guess is that she has a 338w AcBel in there now. I've been told this is also a 661-2332 which is interchangeable w/a 661-2412.

HELP!!!:)

Reaction score
:) I got it going....I pulled the battery pressed the reset and re-installed the battery. Hooked everything up and Bam.....Thanks

Reaction score
I did a search for this exact problem and came to this thread. Worked like a charm, THANKS!

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the tips. I opened up the G4, found the little 3.6v battery, removed it and put it back in. Then pushed in the the teeny tiny reset button nearby (little circle in a little chrome square). It booted, but had no video. Turned it off, held down command-option [p] and [r] keys all at same time (reset PRAM), got the funny sound and then the chime. Voila! back up and running.

Probably was originally due to a power outage to the house - but this fixed it!:)

Ask a Question