Possible to defrag MacBook Pro hard drive

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro runs slower in its 3rd year. I started it for simple computing but in 2nd year I took up video editing as my hobby and installed Camtesia on my Mac. Now I have been working on medium and large video files and I suspect my Mac behaves slow with available RAM i.e. 4 GB and 500GB hard drive. I followed many articles that suggested to speed up Mac but none worked perfectly. Now I am looking up to defragmenting my Mac hard drive as a possible solution to speed its performance. Do any of you Mac expert know how to do it safely?

I am not in condition to upgrade my hard drive or buy a new Mac. Really doesn't have this much budget. o_O

Reaction score
First, what exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

Secondly, what exact Mac OS are you using?

Third, are you making backups to an external drive? And if you are, what software are you using?

Fourth, how much free space is on your internal drive?

Firth, have you been performing any disk cleanup/maintenance on the internal drive?

I suspect the internal hard drive spins at 5400 rpm, which is slow. Defragmenting/optimizing the drive should help, but you'll need an effective third party program to do that.

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro runs slower in its 3rd year. I started it for simple computing but in 2nd year I took up video editing as my hobby and installed Camtesia on my Mac. Now I have been working on medium and large video files and I suspect my Mac behaves slow with available RAM i.e. 4 GB and 500GB hard drive. I followed many articles that suggested to speed up Mac but none worked perfectly. Now I am looking up to defragmenting my Mac hard drive as a possible solution to speed its performance. Do any of you Mac expert know how to do it safely?

I am not in condition to upgrade my hard drive or buy a new Mac. Really doesn't have this much budget. o_O

Yes, we need to know your Mac OS X Specification. Your RAM is good however you must upgrade to atleast 8GB for all the video editing jobs. A larger hard drive and SSD drive as your boot drive will hep you gain quick access to Mac. Yup all these upgrade needs $$$$. I also second the idea of defragging Mac hard drive since it might have fragments particularly due to video editing software. Here you can try trial version of Stellar Defrag application.

Ask a Question