Please help! Keyboard unresponsive on Leopard...

Reaction score
I run Leopard on an Intel iMac I got almost 6 years ago (ancient, I know).

It's always been good to me -- but since I updated to Leopard earlier in the year, there have been a lot of problems.

For one, my USB keyboard doesn't work. At all. It worked fine, and then it randomly stopped responding entirely. It's not an issue with the keyboard -- it works fine with a Macbook. Rebooting/restarting/unplugging the USB doesn't help. And it's not a problem with the USB hubs, because my tablet mouse works fine.

When I start my computer and the login screen comes up, it says it "can't detect a keyboard" and starts searching for Bluetooth ones. Despite the fact it's plugged in.

It really sucks. I can't log into my account, because my iMac isn't registering keyboard input-- so I can't access ANY of my files or even INSTALL a bug fix/patch/etc.

Is there any way to access an onscreen keyboard via the login screen? Using no keyboard commands? Technopathy, maybe? :(

Is this just an OS/software issue? Is it fixable? Should I take it in?

Really, all I want to access are my files. I haven't backed them up recently and I'm pissed.

Reaction score
Is there any way to access an onscreen keyboard via the login screen? Using no keyboard commands? Technopathy, maybe?
Nope.

Is this just an OS/software issue? Is it fixable? Should I take it in?
Not until you've done all the Updates.

Have you tried another keyboard?
Is it an Apple keyboard?

Reaction score
Nope.

Not until you've done all the Updates.

Have you tried another keyboard?
Is it an Apple keyboard?

Yes, it's an Apple keyboard. And quite new. My other keyboard also stopped responding -- though it was confined to keys (like a, e, r, etc).

I'd really rather not go out and buy a new keyboard if there's another way to fix the problem. :(

Reaction score
If you can't borrow another Keyboard, then you'll have to take it to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Thats the first test they will do.

Ask a Question