Please Help I Broke My B'friends Work Ibook. Please Read And Try To Help

Reaction score
Hi there, i have just taken my computer (pc) for a health check and needed touse the internet...so i started up my boyfriends work computer ibook os 9.2.2. I am a complete novice with computers, especially macs and i tried to install a modem so i could use broadband (alcatel speedtouch 2.012) i admit i didn't know what i was doing and the comuter froze. i had to switch it off and now it won't start up. I keep getting message that says 'sorry a system error occured, virtual memory 1/0 error, to temporarily turn off extensions restart and hold down shift key'
WHAT HAVE I DONE? i need to fix it before he gets back home in 4 hours...someone please help me... i am desperate...he will KILL me!
thanks :-( HE IS BACK IN 3 HOURS AND I HAVE TO TRY FIX IT BEFORE THEN. HE HAS TOLD ME TO NEVER GO NEAR IT...I WILL BE DEAD MEAT

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Don't worry it's not fatal !

You really have only one choice, confess !

I'm sure he won't mind really !

It's quite hard to diagnose whats happened without seeing the Mac.

In essence the software that you have installed...just needs uninstalling, then all should be fine, as I said before, nothing fatal !

If you restart and hold down the 'shift' key till it boots up completely...this turns off the extentions...then you should be able to remove the Alcatel software. The problem is, is that you need to find out 'what' it installed !

If you remove the wrong bits you could make it worse...

...or you could just pretend that you haven't touched it !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Reboot holding down the shift key, and then try rerunning the Acatel Installation program...

"From the Alcatel Manual"

Removing a Speed Touch Installation:

Insert the Speed Touch Installation CD-Rom in your computer's CD-Rom drive. Open the Mac OS9 folder, double-click the Installer icon and follow the instructions. At the Welcome screen, select 'Custom Remove' from the dropdown box and enable the 'Drivers and Software' box to uninstall your Speed Touch installation. and follow the instructions to uninstall your Speed Touch installation.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question