Play buttons don't work like a remember on my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Help! The play, back track, and next track buttons on the top row of my MacBook Pro don't respond for iTunes. I replaced my battery and figured I screwed up a connection inside, because I used to use them. They do work however when playing videos on YouTube. I checked iTunes settings, but didn't see anything there. ?????

Thanks!

Reaction score
The other buttons (brightness, volume up/down, mute, etc) perform their desired task. I went to System Preferences>Keyboard and checked the box "Use F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys", but then the aforementioned buttons require pressing the "fn" button while not brining any functionality to the "play, back track, or next track button".

Reaction score
I just tried it on my late 2012 Mac Mini running the latest version of Mojave, OS 10.14.3, with an Apple Magic Keyboard, and it works fine. I have not done anything with settings. Also, I have Logitech Speakers attached to the Mac Mini.

Additionally, a "new" version of iTunes came out the other day:

However, from what I can gather, that version is for any Mac OS "below" Mohave.

Have you done any software installations recently (assuming this issue just recently appeared)? Also, for whatever Mac OS you are currently running, how did you "get" to that OS? Did you upgrade "in place", or via a clean, fresh installation?

What exact Mac OS are you currently running, and what Mac OS did you upgrade from?

Finally, how often have you upgraded the Mac OS? And did you do all those upgrades "in place", ie, basically let the new Mac OS overwrite the prior one? In theory, that is supposed to be OK, but I always do a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of the new Mac OS. That has always served me well, and I never have issues with the new Mac OS when I do that (of course I insure that all my third party (ie, non-Apple) applications are compatible with the new OS).

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You could try a few things:
  1. Uncheck Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys (default setting is unchecked)
  2. System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts - click on each subcategory and click the Restore Defaults button for each one
  3. Create another user, login to it, and see if the buttons function properly
  4. Have you tried simply restarting?

Let us know if any of that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello honestone and Cory Cooper and thanks for the replies!

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a mid 2010 machine. I think it had Snow Leopard when I purchased it. I've done updates since that time and I'm on iTunes 12.8.2.3

I went to System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts and I Restored Defaults as well as restarting it a couple days ago.

It's weird that those controls work when watching a YouTube video, but don't work on iTunes any longer. I can use Command and the four directions arrow keys to change track and volume as well as the spacebar to start/stop play back.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

When did this issue first happen? If it has to do with an upgrade to a newer Mac OS, it could be tied to that specific version of the Mac OS, along with just upgrading "in place".

You indicated that the machine initially had Snow Leopard. That means there have been 8 versions of the Mac OS since then:

OS 10.7.x - Lion
OS 10.8.x - Mountain Lion
OS 10.9.x - Mavericks
OS 10.10.x - Yosemite
OS 10.11.x - El Capitan
OS 10.12.x - Sierra
OS 10.13.x - High Sierra
OS 10.14.x - Mojave

In "going" from OS 10.6.x to OS 10.13.6, did you upgrade to each of those versions? And if you did, was it always an upgrade "in place"?

Also, have you always insured that any third party software (ie, non-Apple) that you use has been compatible with each version of the Mac OS you upgraded to?

Reaction score
This issue has been going on for a little over a year or so.

When changing my OS I always updated what I already had. I thought through it, but I honestly can't remember any software I added around the time this issue first surfaced.

I always assumed I did something wrong when replacing the battery since I first noticed the problem soon after that. The other day i accidentally bumped the "play" button while watching a YouTube video and it stopped playing. That's when I realized the functionality was still there, but just not for iTunes somehow.

Reaction score
That would "tie it" to High Sierra somehow, assuming that is when you upgraded. But there are still 2 questions remaining:

1. Did you upgrade "in place" from Snow Leopard though each of the 6 versions of the Mac OS between Snow Leopard and High Sierra?

2. Again, what about third party software you use. Do you use any, and if so, have you always insured that such software is compatible with the Mac OS you upgraded to? And have you upgraded any of that third party software?

Reaction score
Thanks again honestone

1.When you speak of "upgrade in place" I'm assuming you mean updating the existing OS by online download. That's what I've done in the past.

2. I do use third party software. I use Firefox, Word, Excel, Snagit, Avast, Sling, and Home Inspector Pro. Google Chrome, Sublime Text 2, Android File Transfer, and Belkin Switch to Mac Utility is on there too, I just haven't used them in a while. I haven't been diligent on OS compatibility issues. Honestly I haven't had many issues in the time I've had this machine.

Reaction score
Yes, by upgrade "in place", I mean just letting the upgrade happen via the on line download/installation process. But if you have done that the last 6 times (ie, between Snow Leopard and High Sierra), that is loaded with potential problems.

It is still important to keep your applications up to date. This link can help you with that:

Also, I do not have a Virus program running all the time, and some folks have stated that running a program like Avast can cause issues. For malware/adware and virus detection, I rely on the excellent free program Malwarebytes (for malware and adware), and ClamXAV for virus detection(it goes "deeper than Malwarebytes). They are not running in the background. (I actually started a thread about this:

Also, I am familiar with Word and Excel (although I have moved on from them), along with Google Chrome (my primary browser) and Firefox. I always keep both of them up to date (along with Opera, another fine browser). And how would the program Belkin Switch to Mac Utility be on your Mac? According to what I have read, that only runs under the Windows OS. If it is on your Mac, and you no longer need it, get rid of it. An excellent tool to get rid of both an application and most files associated with it is the program AppCleaner, available from here:

Given that you are running High Sierra, you would get V3.5.

By the way, do you do any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? And are you making backups to an external device?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

-Did you try the other settings I suggested?
-Do you happen to use Google Chrome to watch YouTube videos?
-Do you also use Google Play Music? If so, did you happen to install the Google Play Music extension in Chrome and is it open when iTunes is open too? If so, try disabling the Google Play Music extension, and quit Chrome. Then try iTunes with the media keys.

C

Ask a Question