Photoshop CS2 Files Disappearing

Reaction score
Hello All,
First off, let me give a brief explanation of my setup. I have 23 20" iMac G5s networked. They are all running 10.4.5. When a student sits down at one, he/she selects their name from a list and logs in. The machines authenticate to a G5 XServe running 10.3.9. This XServe is also where all their data is stored.

I have had no problems with this setup in the past except for one: sometimes when students save a file to their desktop or documents folder or pictures folder or anywhere for that matter, the file will save and the next time they logon it has either disappeared entirely or the icon will be there but the file will have a size of 0 (zero) byes. This only seems to happen when they save in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

At first I figured the problem was probably between the keyboard and the back of the chair, however, it is happening more and more often with many different users.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Is it a Photoshop problem? Something I should submit to Adobe? :confused:

Any help or suggestions that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Best Regards,
-Jason

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Jason,

thanks for all the info !

is this problem something that 'you' can replicate ?

Is Photoshop the latest version ? Has it started happening since any recent updates ?

Are there any 'unique' features to the Mac's that are experiencing this problem ?

Are they low on hard drive space ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,
Thanks for resonding. Let me answer your questions.

is this problem something that 'you' can replicate ?
No, I have not been able to make it happen for me, however I have seen it happen to someone else.

Is Photoshop the latest version ? Has it started happening since any recent updates ?
The version of Photoshop that is running is the same as what comes on the install CD. I do not see any updates for CS2 on Adobes website other then a security update. So I would assume its the newest.

Are there any 'unique' features to the Mac's that are experiencing this problem ?
Nope, it seems to be random because it has happened on pretty much all of them. And they are all identical machines.

Are they low on hard drive space ?
Each iMac has an internal 250GB drive, however, neither the students or teachers use the local drive. They all save to the server (their entire home directoy including their desktop folder is stored on the server) which has plenty of drive space free, and the internal 250 has more then enough free space as well.

I hope that info can help. Thanx again!!

Best,
-Jason

Reaction score
Hi, the issue may be long file names. I have not seen the problem before with Photoshop CS 2, but do see the problem on a regular basis when exporting files from InDesign (either as .PDF or .EPS)

cheers, v

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

To further...do any of the filenames contain spaces or "illegal" characters such as / ?

Ask a Question