Pages Problem

Reaction score
Started this morning. Can't think of anything I may have done to cause it.
OS 10.10.5
Pages: not sure how to tell what version.. but, I've updated when notified.

Problem.. When I try to open a Pages documents from my desktop, I get an error that says I can't open the document due to a missing "index.xml file". However, If I open Pages and click on any of the Pages file that are shown under Desktop, I can open those same files.

Not sure if I explained myself.. so a different shot at it.

On my desktop I have a file called ABC.pages. I can't open it due to the above error.
In Pages, I find ABC.pages. It opens perfectly.

Oh, forgot to mention.. I thought I'd try to re-load Pages (update or whatever it's called).. I can't figure how to do that. I thought if I re-loaded Pages it would replace that missing file and I'd be good. When I go to the App store, it wants me to re purchase Pages. Curious as I've been notified a couple times to update the app.

Thanks for any help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry for that late response.

You are getting that error, because you are trying to open a newer version of a Pages document with an older version of Pages that doesn't support the file structure.

To see which version of Pages you have:
-Locate the Pages app in the Applications folder (or possibly Applications > iWork)
-Right-click or Control-click on the icon
-It will open a Get Info box and list the version number in the General section

-How was Pages originally installed on your Mac?
-Do you have more than one version of Pages installed by chance?
-Do you have an iWork installer disc - if so, which version?
-Does Pages show in your purchase history in the App Store?

C

Reaction score
Hi agn Cory. You are always there.. Thanks.

I figured it might be due to a newer version. However, in the recent past, when I tried to open an older document with the newer version, I would be asked if I wanted to convert to the newer version. Not so with the "links/icons" that are on my desktop.

Re version. I tried doing the Right-Click and Control-Click.. they did nothing.. so, I still don't know the version.
As I remember, Pages came installed when I bought the Mac from Apple. In the Apps folder, there is an icon for iWorks, Numbers, Pages, etc. I don't remember purchasing it separately.

I'm getting confused now.. and I don't know how/why.. but.. a moment ago, I only had the new version icon for pages in my sidebar.. the one with that page and pencil.. now, I have that as well as the one that looks like an inkwell and pen too. So, If I now click on one of the older Pages docs on my desktop, I get the note that I need the newer version to open it. However, the newer Pages docs on my desktop show I'm missing the .xml file. So, I possibly have both versions.. However, only the newer icon shows in my Applications folder.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Sounds like you have the older and newer versions. The purple icon with the inkwell is from iWork '09 - probably version 4.x. The icon with a white page with orange top and a pencil is the newer version 5.x.

Sorry - to expand on getting the version number - in the Contextual Menu that appears when you Option-click, then select Get Info and that is where you ill see the version number.

The newer version should be in the Applications folder, the older in Applications > iWork.

C

Reaction score
Hey again Cory. Not sure what the Contextual Menu is.. But, all is fixed. Moments after my last reply to you, I got an update message. I updated to the latest OS as well as Numbers, Pages and Keynote. All the desktop links/icons now work fine.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us needy folks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it's working.

A contextual menu is what pops up when you Option-click or Control-click. In the menu that pops up, you can select Get Info, which opens an informational window that will show the version of an app, as well as other information.

C

Ask a Question