problems loading webpages

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro running OS 10.8.5 and safari 6.1

Certain webpages - a bank, a climbing gym, a broker - will not load in Safari. Or in Chrome or Mozilla. Pages are accessible on iPhone safari. Seemed to occur after some updates - not sure what.

It only happens on certain wifi public networks [not all] and I have tried a different DNS server and turning off preloading. Chrome returns an error code saying timed out after almost no time at all. Checking the network it's clear that the network connection is fine - some interaction between the mac, the web page but only on some public wifi networks. So if it's the network settings somehow I have no ability to alter those…but it used to work before the upgrades….

Apple genius bar people have been visited twice and have no idea….

thx

beagly77

Reaction score
It only happens on certain wifi public networks
public WiFi is controlled by someone, they will filter sites. You probably shouldn't get onto banking site from public WiFi.

Reaction score
It's not because its a banking site. The login page itself won't load - but for other banks it all works fine. And at least four other non bank sites won't load either. And previously these were all ok before some upgrades. And why won't other browsers work either for the same sites? Has to be something about this particular wifi set up interacting with the Mac. All works fine in the apple store hence no help from the Genius Bar.....

Reaction score
this particular wifi set up
yes, I don't think its the Mac, its the WiFi providers system. There is no setting that stops random site on random networks in the Mac.

Ask a Question