OVERCLOCK IMAC MONITOR TO +100HZ

Reaction score
Hello, I have an iMac 27" late 2013 and I game on a boot camp windows 8.1, specially Fortnite. I would know if there is any way to overclock the monitor for that I can game on higher hz, maybe 120 or 144. If anyone knows something, I would be very thanked for the help.
my iMac is an i5 3,2 GHz 16GB Ram and a Nvidia gt 755m

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Overclocking your iMac's graphics card is not recommended. I personally don't know of any way to overclock it, and I believe it would require a ROM flash. The end result could easily damage the iMac, and render it unusable.

Sorry,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Overclocking your iMac's graphics card is not recommended. I personally don't know of any way to overclock it, and I believe it would require a ROM flash. The end result could easily damage the iMac, and render it unusable.

Sorry,

C
Sorry if I didn't explain well, I am not english. What I said is if I can overclock the monitor, not the graphics card. Thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to overclock the refresh rate of the display/monitor.

C

Reaction score
Cory, I'm afraid you are wrong. I just overclocked mine to 100Hz.
You have to right click on your desktop, to bring up the NVidia control panel. You then go to 'change resoltuion' Under display, hit the customise button and then create new resolution. Here, enter a refresh rate above 60, 10 at a time. I managed to get up to 100 but I don't want to go any further and I'm not going to keep it permanently as it can apparently reduce the lifespan of the monitor.

Happy overclocking!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There isn't any official Apple way to overclock the video or display refresh rates outside of the default choices available. Software like SwitchResX can give more choices for resolution and a few more refresh rate choices. But, they are limited to what the hardware supports.

The OP is using an iMac, so generally the NVIDIA Quadro & GeForce preference pane drivers that are available for their Mac Pro-compatible cards won't work. I do know that NVIDIA did have beta support for some iMacs in recent releases, but I have never used that software.

I am interested to see if you are using the NVIDIA preference pane to control the refresh of an iMac to 100Hz?

C

Reaction score
I overcloked my imac late 2013 21,5" with the intel control panel, i don't recommend to do it and usually i don't even use the overclocked profile.

What i did:

1) Open the intel control panel (iris pro graphics in my case) or graphics properties (you can see it on windows bootcamp by right clicking on an empty space on the desktop)
2) Go to screen
3) Go to custom resolutions, the last option on the left at the bottom before "select profile"
4) Click on "YES" when the warning opens.
5) Choose add and put the dimensions of your monitor (the resolution)
6) In the update frequency, try from 60 to increase of 1/2 hertz, every time you need to click on "add" on the right bottom + button.
7) After adding your customs resolutions, reboot your devide
8) Now open again the intel control panel (graphics properties)
9) Go to screen again
10) In general settings choose the resolution and one of the update frequencies.
11) Check if the settings got effect here: https://www.testufo.com/
12) The hertz and FPS should be the frequency you choosed.

Cattura.PNG

DISCLAIMER: this is only for intel integrated graphics, for others the tutorials on the internet should be fine. I don't recommend to do overclock on a monitor, even worse if integrated with the PC because hard to replace.
Try at your own risk.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There isn't any official Apple way to overclock the video or display refresh rates outside of the default choices available. Software like SwitchResX can give more choices for resolution and a few more refresh rate choices. But, they are limited to what the hardware supports.

The OP is using an iMac, so generally the NVIDIA Quadro & GeForce preference pane drivers that are available for their Mac Pro-compatible cards won't work. I do know that NVIDIA did have beta support for some iMacs in recent releases, but I have never used that software.

I am interested to see if you are using the NVIDIA preference pane to control the refresh of an iMac to 100Hz?

C
I did use the NVIDIA Control panel (Windows 10 Bootcamp) To overclock my 2013 21.5' iMac, yes. I'm running a GT750M 1GB for anyone who wants to know :)

Reaction score
I overcloked my imac late 2013 21,5" with the intel control panel, i don't recommend to do it and usually i don't even use the overclocked profile.

What i did:

1) Open the intel control panel (iris pro graphics in my case) or graphics properties (you can see it on windows bootcamp by right clicking on an empty space on the desktop)
2) Go to screen
3) Go to custom resolutions, the last option on the left at the bottom before "select profile"
4) Click on "YES" when the warning opens.
5) Choose add and put the dimensions of your monitor (the resolution)
6) In the update frequency, try from 60 to increase of 1/2 hertz, every time you need to click on "add" on the right bottom + button.
7) After adding your customs resolutions, reboot your devide
8) Now open again the intel control panel (graphics properties)
9) Go to screen again
10) In general settings choose the resolution and one of the update frequencies.
11) Check if the settings got effect here: https://www.testufo.com/
12) The hertz and FPS should be the frequency you choosed.

View attachment 3345

DISCLAIMER: this is only for intel integrated graphics, for others the tutorials on the internet should be fine. I don't recommend to do overclock on a monitor, even worse if integrated with the PC because hard to replace.
Try at your own risk.
Thanks mate. Will definitely try this on out. I'll update you soon

Ask a Question