out of practice + not up to date

Reaction score
Hey there,
So I'm trying to archive a big project I am finished with from my external hard drive. I have groupings in folders generally a few gigs each and it would be best to keep them in these folders.
I was/am planning on burning them to a DVD-R... but suddenly don't know how to.
(which feels pretty lame)
When I put the DVD-R in my computer (ibook w DVD writer, OS10.4.7) the blank DVD does not show up in the finder, but maybe I did that in some system prefs?
Disk Utilities opens and says that the DVD-R is not writable. But I use these same DVD's to back up my DVD movies. Plus, really, I've never ever understood how to use Disk Utilities other than trying to fix things - not to burn things.
((and I've often worried that the finder doesn't burn as well/safe/reliable as a program-is that simply old logic and not correct?))
Although I bought a newer version of Toast (old compared to current Toasts) the only one that has ever worked on my computer for some exciting reason is 5.2 and I use this to write sessions to CD-Rs all the time to back up my data + burn my MP3's to get them off my hard drive.
Is Toast (and that old) reliable?
What burning software is best anymore? (and hopefully not expensive; I'm in-between jobs and flat negative broke)
Am I totally incorrect to think that Disk Utilities and the Finder are not safe?
How do you burn sessions on the Finder, to save space + organize data on CD's and DVD's?
I have Popcorn... but I think the Newer version of Toast does both movies and data right? Is it worth upgrading?
Are DVD's more reliable than CD's for data backup?
I know these are a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate help! You guys always explain things to me excellently!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am in the middle of something at the minute...so a short answer ;-)

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/burn/

That has a few tips for burning...

The Finder burns data reliably !

The new version of Toast is very easy to use for data DVD's, just drag and drop...

toast-701.jpg

I use the Finder and Toast...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
use toast it works fine
im usually using toast 6
but i cant imagine why 5.2 would not do an comparabley good job
just drag the files to toast hit burn and let it burn

i prefer toast over finder
dvd's are not neccasarily more reliable then cd's it depends on the kind you buy
dvd's are generally just bigger
i tend to use emtec and sony dvd's

Ask a Question