OSX Sierra

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards getting OSX Sierra? It doesn’t appear in Apple Store anywhere and still not ready to jump to High Sierra . Thanks. Dave

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sierra is currently not available in the App Store for some reason. It should reappear at some point.

Until then, you may be able to get an Apple Store to install it for you...do you have one close by?

C

Reaction score
Yes but it’s for an older Mac Pro which is a little heavy to carry about!! If waiting is the only option, I will. Thanks for your reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...understood.

-Which exact model Mac Pro?
-What version of OS X currently?

C

Reaction score
No worries...understood.

-Which exact model Mac Pro?
-What version of OS X currently?

C
It’s a late 2009/ early 2010 Mac Pro Desktop working amazingly with El Capitain.
But just getting to a point where I think a complete upgrade wouldn’t be a bad idea. Hence the thought that an OS upgrade may offer slightly better performance and disk space before I do.

Reaction score
If you lived close to me, I could get you a copy. Whenever I download a full Mac OS from the App Store, I immediately make a copy of it in another location. That way I have it.

It is perplexing why Apple has not chosen to show Sierra as a "Purchased" item in the App Store. Maybe some strange new policy.

Regarding better performance and disk space with an upgrade to Sierra, any increased performance will of course be dependent on a number of factors, the primary one being whether you have an SSD or an HDD (and the speed of the HDD). Also, have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are also some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

By the way, the esteemed Mr. Cory Cooper discovered that after downloading High Sierra from the App Store and installing it, Sierra then appeared in the "Purchases" section. Seems like a "back handed, convoluted" way of getting it, but I guess if you have an external device that you are not using and download and install High Sierra on it, that could be a way to get Sierra. Don't know, though, if that is possible, as I am not sure if can be downloaded to your machine, and then installed on an external drive (and then booting up from that external drive). This link describes which Macs one can install High Sierra on:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your-mac-run-macos-high-sierra/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Note that when using that link, a little more than halfway down is a section entitled "Get Sierra from the App Store", and in Step 1 is a link for "Get macOS Sierra". When one clicks that link, it does take you to a page in the App Store for Sierra. However, there is no download option. Instead, it says "Open" (clicking on the arrow next to that does not include a Download choice). When you click "Open", it actually allows one to start the installation from Apple's servers to your Mac. Thus, there will be no "Install macOS Sierra" file inside the Applications folder before the installation begins. So, you'll need to get things ready before proceeding with that installation.

Reaction score
It’s a late 2009/ early 2010 Mac Pro Desktop working amazingly with El Capitain.
But just getting to a point where I think a complete upgrade wouldn’t be a bad idea. Hence the thought that an OS upgrade may offer slightly better performance and disk space before I do.

One other thing I neglected to mention in my earlier reply to this is that you will need to first insure that all your third party (ie, non-Apple) apps are compatible with Sierra. That might require you to download and install applicable updates. This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Again, though, you will need to determine if your Mac can accommodate Sierra. Again, that link I provided above (about which Macs can one install Sierra onto) states:
  • Mac Pro - 2010 or later
You mentioned that your machine is a late 2009/ early 2010 Mac Pro Desktop. Not sure if a "late 2009/ early 2010" model is included in Apple's "Mac Pro - 2010 or later" designation.

Reaction score
I had to jump through several links in order to install Sierra myself a couple of weeks ago. I'm dismayed that I have yet to find a way to download the Installer only for possible future use.

Reaction score
Download the installer, and then make a copy. When you've used one of them to install, you'll be left with the other to use elsewhere.

Reaction score
Download the installer, and then make a copy. When you've used one of them to install, you'll be left with the other to use elsewhere.

EXACTLY! That is why I have stated numerous times on this site that after one downloads (on their own) the Mac OS "file" for the App Store, and BEFORE proceeding with an installation, make a copy of that file in another location.

Ask a Question