OSX Server connecting to active directory

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping you could help me with this problem.

I am an IT admin at a school and we have recently switched to a Mac environment. We already have active directory set up and are running Windows Server 2008. We would like to migrate (if possible) all the user accounts onto our Mac Server and administer them using profile manager. Is this at all possible? I am new to Mac Server.

Thank you for your response :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That would be a HUGE undertaking, and far beyond the scope of the support resources here. I know many school districts have a combined PC and Mac environment. They use Windows/Exchange Server and Active Directory for all faculty/student accounts, but run mainly Macs/iPads as their primary devices, along with some PC desktops/notebooks. Honestly, if AD is setup and working well, there isn't really a reason or an easy way to migrate over to OS X Server and Open Directory.

A few questions:
-How many accounts - faculty/student?
-Is there a specific reason you want to make this move?
-Are you currently using network accounts?
-Are you using Exchange Server for email/contacts/calendars?
-Are you using any form of MDM?
-Have you considered using services like Google Drive/Docs/etc for storing and syncing user documents?

If you give us a little more information about your current setup and usage, and where you are trying to get to, we'll try to discuss any issues you are having and see if we can guide you in the right direction.

C

Ask a Question