OSX Server 10.4 Tiger

Ric

Reaction score
When OSX server 10.4 Tiger is released please post your comments, bug reports etc here.

Thanks

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I am looking forward to Tiger Server. I have an Xserve running Panther Server 10.3.8 right now. I bought the Mac OS X Server Maintenance Program with my Xserve, so I am sure it will ship to me as soon as it's available.

I will be happy to report my findings here upon receipt and installation.

Anyone else here running an Xserve and/or OS X Server, I would love to share ideas.

Cory

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Danster:

Yes, a server hosts websites, can be used for serving email, file sharing, printing, video streaming, etc. This forum is hosted on a server.

Depending on the brand of server, you use different operating system and other software to run it...similar to OS X. Apple's Xserve servers use OS X Server as their operating system. It's very similar to OS X, but has additional software that allows you to configure it in a professional manner for doing websites, email, etc.

Here are a few links you can look at that explain Apple's offerings:

Apple - Xserve G5 (The actual server machine)

Apple - Mac OS X Server (the server software that runs on the Xserve)

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Cory

Ric

Reaction score
Danster: That's the beauty of Mac's, once you think you've mastered it there's a whole new world to conquer. Within, your copy of "client" OS X 10.3.8 are enough bits and bobs for you to run your own server, and anything else you need can be generally downloaded for free of the Internet.

I have the Server version of OS X, this software can then be installed onto most Mac's (depends on the spec's), that then in theory turns them into a server !

This is why Mac's are so great check out this website, you don't need a lot of power to run a Web Server...Mac Plus - Floppy Disk Web Server !

If you want more info of how, what, to host your own website, let us know. Maybe we can do an Apache tutorial for OS X (client users) in Hints and Tips !

Ric

Reaction score
Cory:

Yes, we will have to talk shop at some point.

What do you currently use your Xserve for?

If you don't mind me asking?

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Cory:

Thanks for that, I appreciate the offer. Will let you know once I've got the speedbump, depending on how that goes.

If you want to advertise your services here, (in your signature...) I don't mind I have no intention of offering any Hosting services, bit to competative for me.

With you being self taught, do you get down and dirty with the terminal and unix or do you tend to stick with the GUI. Any hints and tip's you feel like sharing please do.

What features are you looking forward to in Tiger !

regards Ric

Ric

Reaction score
I think Tiger's not that far off now, 2 months !

Looking forward to 'Spam Assassin' being integrated, so that I can cut down some of the junk I get...

New Blog and iChat server's look interesting !

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ric said:
Cory:

Thanks for that, I appreciate the offer. Will let you know once I've got the speedbump, depending on how that goes.

If you want to advertise your services here, (in your signature...) I don't mind I have no intention of offering any Hosting services, bit to competative for me.

With you being self taught, do you get down and dirty with the terminal and unix or do you tend to stick with the GUI. Any hints and tip's you feel like sharing please do.

What features are you looking forward to in Tiger !

regards Ric

Thanks Ric!

I appreciate the "go-ahead" on offering services, but I am not usually one to use my membership in things like this for profit. :) (As I stated in my PM to you). However, once things stablilize for me and Tiger Server is up and running, that is when my big push will be for new clients.

As for the features I am looking forward to in Tiger Server:

1. Better Postfix Virtual Hosting/Quotas Support
2. SpamAssassin/ClamAV Integration
3. Weblog Server
4. Hopefully PHP/Perl Updates with more Third-Party Plug-Ins/Modules
5. Easier Switch to Apache 2.0

Down and Dirty:

1. I use both the GUI and Terminal
2. I prefer the GUI...easier
3. Have compiled/installed some things in Terminal/X11, but a few gave me trouble
4. Terminal is intimidating, but useable

Things are good on my Xserve - now that the reinstall of OS X Server has been done (due to the OS X Server Security Update of a few weeks back). I am hesitant to install the OS X Server 10.3.9 Update from today...will run on test server first and check out other user's comments first for a few days.

Will be waiting for Tiger Server 10.4.1 before I attempt my switchover.

Cheers!

Cory

Ric

Reaction score
Sidenote: 10.3.9 running on this Server !

No apparent problems, mail, web, file services all appear fine....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Did you get the "infamous" hang when the 10.3.9 Update installer was optimizing your system? Many, many folks have reported that in Apple Discussions.

C

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, last two updates have stuck at 30% disk optimisation.

I left it chugging along for an hour, then had a quick look via 'top' to see what was happening then killed the relevant PID and rebooted.

reboot, threw me into console-no gui.

One more reboot, then all running.

Ric

Reaction score
Cory Cooper said:
...As for the features I am looking forward to in Tiger Server:

1. Better Postfix Virtual Hosting/Quotas Support
2. SpamAssassin/ClamAV Integration
3. Weblog Server
4. Hopefully PHP/Perl Updates with more Third-Party Plug-Ins/Modules
5. Easier Switch to Apache 2.0

Down and Dirty:

1. I use both the GUI and Terminal
2. I prefer the GUI...easier
3. Have compiled/installed some things in Terminal/X11, but a few gave me trouble
4. Terminal is intimidating, but useable

Things are good on my Xserve - now that the reinstall of OS X Server has been done (due to the OS X Server Security Update of a few weeks back). I am hesitant to install the OS X Server 10.3.9 Update from today...will run on test server first and check out other user's comments first for a few days.

Will be waiting for Tiger Server 10.4.1 before I attempt my switchover.

Cheers!

Cory

I tend do end up doing a lot of 'stuff' via the terminal, a lot of the time I access it remotely and prefer to get back in via SSH.

Just looking into my upgrade path options at the minute, I originally purchased Panther Server - without the 3yr maintenance upgrade...as it was only for home use.

Looks like my cheapest upgrade path will to now buy the maintenace pack, which will give me Tiger and anyothers that come out in the next three years. More research to follow.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ric,

I got Tiger Server this morning...it's unreal! Haven't dug in too deep yet...on my 28th hour without sleep!

Anyway, I will give you a full report as I get into it...you're gonna want it! It's going to make my life so easy!

C

Ric

Reaction score
Have found a new Book today !

Mac OS X Server Essentials by Schoun Regan part of the Apple Training Series !

Looks quite good so far, 10.4 Server !

Published Date 2006 !!!

Time Travelling.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Guys!!!

Can any explain what is the difference between 10.3.9 and 10.4???

Is 10.3.9 a Panther or a Tiger OSX already?

Badjao

Reaction score
By the way follow up question...

I am new with MAC actually... My boss has a OSX 10.3.9 and what it to upgrade to 10.4. Thats why I asked what the difference between the two versions.

From what I have read ont the mac site, 10.4 Tiger has many features on it. And thats what my boss wants on his Mac...

But I have read also that you cannot upgrade the from 10.3 to 10.4... Is the right???

Well my boss purchased a 10.4 Tiger and want it to be installed on his MAC. I read the installation guide that I will need to use the Simple Ugrade so that the files and the current configuration would not be delete.

Would it actually work to upgrade the system from 10.3.9 to 10.4???

Hope to hear any from you mac experts...

Ric

Reaction score
badjao said:
Hi Guys!!!

Can any explain what is the difference between 10.3.9 and 10.4???

Is 10.3.9 a Panther or a Tiger OSX already?

Badjao

Hi there and welcome,

sorry for the delay ! I missed this one ;-)

You are correct... 10.3.x is called Panther and 10.4.x is called Tiger.

There are numerous differences between the two. The link shows you the new features on the Apple website.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question