OSX Freezing At Login

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G5 running Leopard. Yesterday when I turned it on, it froze and the "You need to restart your computer, hold down the power button" screen appeared within 10 seconds of booting the OS. This now happens every time I restart, always within 5 or 10 seconds of the OS loading. I tried booting into disk select and it ran fine - I repaired and verified the hard drive (which is only 3 weeks old and has been working absolutely fine until now), and disk utility claimed it was fine. I opened the tower and checked all the buses and power sources, and found nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome.

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G5 running Leopard. Yesterday when I turned it on, it froze and the "You need to restart your computer, hold down the power button" screen appeared within 10 seconds of booting the OS. This now happens every time I restart, always within 5 or 10 seconds of the OS loading. I tried booting into disk select and it ran fine - I repaired and verified the hard drive (which is only 3 weeks old and has been working absolutely fine until now), and disk utility claimed it was fine. I opened the tower and checked all the buses and power sources, and found nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome.

Have you tried disconnecting your peripherals and, or booting up in safe mode?

Reaction score
I believe you're receiving a Kernel Panic Message. A kernel panic is usually caused by incompatible hardware, or on rarer occasions, Hardware issues. Try booting into safe mode to see if the problem persists. Disable any third party applications that run at startup and reboot. If the problem persists, and seems unsolvable, you may want to consider taking it to an Apple store to get it looked at. If the problem lies in the hardware, Apple should fix you up no problem, that is if you're still under warranty. Good luck. :)

Reaction score
In addition to the suggestions given above, bad RAM could also cause problems. Have you recently installed new RAM?

Reaction score
As Egidio says it could be the RAM. You might want to see if the RAM is seated properly. Although it's extremely rare, these jokers are known to move on you from time to time. Especially if you move your Mac from one spot to another. It's a long shot but nevertheless a possibility.

Ask a Question