OSX Deterioration

Reaction score
Hi,

First off, I have a MacBook Pro, version 10.5.8.

I went to install updates two nights ago, and progress froze about halfway through. I ended up having to shut the computer down, which in turn didn't allow me to start it back up again until I reinstalled the OS (without formatting).

Now I'm having some serious problems, as expected.

-Many of the utility applications such as Disk Utility will not open. Disk utility closes immediately without any interface appearing

-iTunes will not boot. The icon bounces about 20 times, then becomes non-responsive and needs to be force quit. No interface appears.

Things I have tried:

-Repairing permissions using the boot disc
-Reinstalling iTunes and Quicktime several times
-Deleting all iTunes plugins and reinstalling
-Deleting affiliated preference files
-Calling Apple Care - They told me they think it is my harddrive, which I don't want to believe because it was ran perfectly before the incident.

I understand that a similar thread most likely exists, but I've read just about every one I could find and have yet to find a solution.

I'd really appreciate some feedback, I'm getting pretty fed up and am considering doing a fresh install. I really don't want it to come to that because Protools and its Plugins are very finicky and difficult to install, especially strike, and I'd also like to not lose my iTunes playcounts and playlists.

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers some advice!!

-devin

Reaction score
Sorry to double post, but I just repaired permissions again from the boot disc and got a list of messages similar to this one:

"System/Library/Coreservices/FrontRow.app/Contents/Coderesources differs...should be -rw-r--r-- they are lrw-r--r--"

Pretty much all of the messages had that combination of letters at the end and only differed by one letter from what it apparently should be. Hope this helps!

Thanks again,

-devin

Reaction score
I would try to Boot from your install DVD
and run Disk Utility from there.
It sounds like it could be the HD but DU should give you more info to work with.

darock

Ask a Question