OSX 10.12

Reaction score
Forum, I would like to put OSX 10.12 Sierra onto a MacBook Pro from 2009 that is currently running OSX 10.11 El Capitan. I cannot find it on the Apple web site. I would like to put Boot Camp onto this MacBook so that I can run either Win XP or Win 7. The processor that I have is an Intel Dou Core running at 2.8 GHZ. Any ideas on either one? Thanks

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This article may help:
How to upgrade to macOS Sierra

Let us know if that solves it for you. Also, we strongly suggest following Apple's suggestion of making a backup of your data before upgrading.

C
Unfortunately, the installer would not let the download continue. How can I get a copy of a version of Boot Camp that can run on OS X 10.11 El Capitan? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Not sure what you mean by "the installer would not let the download continue."?
-El Capitan has Boot Camp - the Boot Camp Assistant is in Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities. Have you tried running it to setup Windows? It should setup Boot Camp and should support Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 at least.
-How much free space is left on your drive?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Not sure what you mean by "the installer would not let the download continue."?
-El Capitan has Boot Camp - the Boot Camp Assistant is in Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities. Have you tried running it to setup Windows? It should setup Boot Camp and should support Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 at least.
-How much free space is left on your drive?

C
Thanks Cory! I had assumed that El Capitan didn't have Boot Camp. I had tried to upload Boot Camp from the Apple web site and that was the response I got. I want to use Windows XP to run some of my older Windows based games.

Reaction score
Cory, How do I set up a USB drive as Fat single partition? It has been formatted as Fat but Boot Camp setup keeps telling that it needs to be FAT single partition. Any ideas?

Reaction score

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

In Disk Utility:
-Click on the drive in the left pane - the line with the disclosure arrow, not the indented name with the eject icon
2019-08-08 09.32.06 pm.png

-Click Erase
2019-08-08 09.32.27 pm.png

-Change Format: to MS-DOS (FAT)
-Change Scheme: to Master Boot Record
-Click Erase

That should format it properly for use with Boot Camp

C

Ask a Question