OS X El Capitan

Reaction score
Hi I wanted to reset my MacBook to factory settings. I found a tutorial online which I followed.

Part 2. Restart Your Mac in Recovery Mode and Reset to Factory Settings​

Now that the prerequisites part is out of the way, let's see how to restore MacBook Pro to factory settings. You will need to reboot your MacBook Pro into the recovery mode to be able to restore it. The following shows how you can do it.

Step 1. Click on the Apple logo and select the Restart option.

Step 2. When your Mac restarts, press and hold down the Command and R keys at the same time. You will reboot into the recovery mode.

Step 3. Select Disk Utility when the recovery menu appears on your screen.

Step 4. Select your startup disk on the following screen and click on Erase.

Step 5. When your disk is erased, get back to the main recovery interface and choose the Reinstall macOS option.

Now I want to reinstall macOS but the problem is that OS X El Capitan isn't available anymore on the App Store.
How can I reinstall macOS on this MacBook?

thanks,
BT

Reaction score
Hi Tony, when starting the Mac it automatically tries to download OS X El Capitan from the App Store.
I just get the notification that this isn't available and can't choose another option.

How do I install another version on this Mac as I deleted the macOS that was installed.

Thanks,

Reaction score
You do have a conundrum there since you don’t have any OS presently installed. When you restart into Recovery, what version of macOS does it offer? If it still offers you El Capitan (and no higher) then I can believe that Apple does not have installers for macOS 10.11 anymore on their recovery servers.

The only solution I can think of right now is to get your hands on an external drive that you can connect to your Mac and boot from it. Then, from the link I posted, you can download the legacy installer for El Capitan, launch it and select your internal drive as the target for the installation.

BTW, it helps if you can indicate the exact model of your Mac. The model identifier from  > About This Mac and click on System Report… will be sufficient to properly identify your model. E.g., my model identifier is Macmini8,1.

Ask a Question