SOLVED Need CODE verbiage for El Capitan 10.11.6

Reaction score
Attempting "Single User" boot to reset password.

When entering this line: Launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.__________________.plist (ENTER)

Where the blank space is, I have tried "DirectoryServices" and at other times, "opendirectory". Neither work.

It was suggested that El Capitan may have different code verbiage for that command. I am using VERSION 10.11.6.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this? Would really appreciate the help! (Every time I think I am close to being able to reset the password, there is a bump in the road.)

Reaction score
According to this link:

Within the "section" that starts with "51", note that it says:

"In 10.7 and later, run:

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist"

And note that after opendirectory, there is a d. Maybe that is what you need to do, include the d.

Last edited:
Reaction score
According to this link:

Within the "section" that starts with "51", note that it says:

"In 10.7 and later, run:

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist"

And note that after opendirectory, there is a d. Maybe that is what you need to do, include the d.

THANK YOU! While I was able to eventually accomplish resetting my password using single user mode; it took many tries and variations of code. I got many frustrating errors, but persevered studying the verbiage and duplicating some of the words until I finally was going to throw in the towel and typed "reboot". Computer rebooted showing the choice of my profile image or Guest. Selected mine; when it asked for the password, I typed in the new one and to my amazement, IT WORKED!

I have been struggling with this for several weeks, and it is truly a relief! I had posted four different questions all narrowing down to the final solution. So appreciate the comments and suggestions from you, MartyByrde and Cory Cooper.

Reaction score
But can I assume it needed to have the "d" in order for you to proceed? From an earlier post, that seems to be where you got stuck.
Not exactly. I got just as far. Had error messages following entering the "d" as well as before. I just studied the error messages harder and was a little creative ...

Ask a Question