"Open With" list

Reaction score
How can I alter the items listed in the "Open With" list when you right click on a photo?

I have a number of items that are either duplicates or previous versions of the same programme and I'd like to delete them.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

new one on me...

...not sure apart from deleting the Apps that are no longer required

You could change the settings globally so that whenever you click on a ".png" it always opes with Application "X" then that should save you going to the open with list for most of your images.

Say if you do alot of screen grabs, which are ".png" files, these by default always open in Preview, but if for 90% of the time you know that you are going to open ".png" files in another Application, and so always have to right click (control click for the old School ;-) then the easiest way is to select 'any' ".png" file and press command + i then in the info box change the open with "to the Application" that you want, and press the "Change All" button...

Now when ever you double click on a ".png" file it will always open in Application "X" and not in preview...

Are the 'duplicates' Applications, ones that you 'still' have on your drive ? Or has the Application been removed ?

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Finder001.jpg
    Finder001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 398
  • Finder002.jpg
    Finder002.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 397
Reaction score
In the Likes of Adobe Bridge right clicking on a jpg gives me the choice of, among others,

Preview 3.0.1
Preview 3.0.1
Safari 2.0
Safari 2.0.1
Quicktime 7.0.1
Quicktime 7.0.3

and I was hoping to find a way to delete the earlier versions from the list to cut it doen a bit

Regards

Mike

Ric

Reaction score
You could try throwing away the preference file for Adobe Bridge...

...but I presume this is happening in all Apps ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
...but I presume this is happening in all Apps ?

It seems to.

The amount of choices in the list varies depending on the file type. For a jpeg file the list pretty much fills the height of the screen, if not more

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

have put you a little App below, this will put the list back to normal...

or just copy this into Terminal and press return...

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain use

it does the same thing !

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Reset Open with list.zip
    17.1 KB · Views: 377
Reaction score
Hi Ric

Thanks for that.

I'm at work at the moment but will give it a go later.

What does it actually do?

I thought there might be some user definable list of apps for the "open with" list somewhere

Regards

Mike

Reaction score
Cocktail under System-Misc Select Rebuild Launch Services Database. That's it! Next time you reboot your "Open With" should be slimmer, that is unless you have a bunch of duplicates which Launch Services will put back cause that's what is does. If you
don't have Cocktail then the above Terminal command should work also.

Cheers

Ask a Question