Old text document problem

Reaction score
In 1995 we created two files relating to the adoption of my son. We wish to recover these files. However, somewhere in the very long ago past the files have become something called a "unix executable file". I tried changing them to Word documents with no luck. I tried changing them to rft files, no luck. They seem to have 2 forks to the file. Terminal doesn't open them as a file.

Any ideas on how to get at these files?

Mark

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Do you happen to remember what Mac you were using and what app created them?

C

Reaction score
It was originally created on a FatMac about 1988/9. I might have been using word perfect in those days.....

Reaction score
Hi,

If the files were written on a Mac using say Appleworks as you say it was some time ago, then possible use text edit.

1) Make a copy of the file first.
2) Now drag the documents copy icon onto the TextEdit application icon, and you should see its raw contents. This should give you the files information.

You might also try changing the files extension to .PAGES but not sure if this would work.
Definatly work with a copy not the original though.

Reaction score
Hi,

Another possibility is to download NeoOffice and try that. Have asked around and it should open the following.

1) WordPerfect 4.2 DOS (.wp)

2) WordPerfect 5.1 DOS/Win (.wp)

3) WordPerfect 6.0-12.0 DOS/Win (.wpd)

4)WordPerfect for Macintosh 3.5e (WPD4)

5) WordPerfect for Macintosh 3.0-3.5.4 (WPD3)

6) WordPerfect for Macintosh 2.1 (WPD2)

7) WordPerfect for Macintosh 2.0.x (WPD2)

8) WordPerfect for Macintosh 1.0.x (WPD0)

Reaction score
Hello,
if you can not open these files with NeoOffice, you can also try with LibreOffice 4.1, which contains more filters for old legacy mac text documents, so maybe ...

osnola

Note: if the resource fork size is very big (the second fork which is probably named ._XXX), it is possible that the main content resides in the ressource fork, ...

Reaction score
Thanks for all your assistance, when I tried to open in NeoOffice I noticed a .sit in all the gibberish. I downloaded stuffit expander, expanded the file, opened in NeoOffice and got everything back, YEAH! again thanks to all for the ideas leading to success !

Reaction score
Hi,

Your welcome and its very good to hear that you can now open these important documents.

Ask a Question