old macbook pro late 2008

Reaction score
love my mac pro 17 in and have had to deal with many issues one of them is the temperature ........and the poor factory burner ( mutually exclusive)..replacing the burner twice...... got an external samsung and removed the factory instillation, and put a bit of tape on the connection .......should have done this long ago the extra direction for heat vent through the slot has brought me down to 133 degrees running several apps at a time ........idling at 117..........just in case some one is still holding on to their old mbp 17 .............

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Is this issue related to your other post about an SSD upgrade? If so, the heat issue is sounding more like a sensor cable is unplugged/damaged.

C

Reaction score
the cpus were going through the roof ive changed the ssd upgrade to san disk U110 from intel 520........no beach balls any longer ....seems like the intel is not as compatible with this model .......ive always run hot even when new ......170 to 200 not uncommon for many app especially movies with vlc ....mkv containers
left fan was making noise so i oiled, cleaned both.......then the thought of removal of the no longer functioning mat. burner for better air flow seemed like a good idea...it works at around 20 to 35 degrees cooler.....the ssd is partitioned properly and am still running snow L ...this is an early 2008 silver keys not the later blk keys .........had the apple store clean and test was told this particular model runs hot .......i guess thats why they added the extra year warranty on the heat problems over and above the 3 yr. ......thanks for the insight just thought anyone with an unusable burner taking up space could be put to good use being eliminated .......
dennis

Ask a Question