Macbook Pro slow/quits unexpectedly/folder with ?

Reaction score
Hi,

I think my Macbook Pro is about to die :(. I have all sorts of problems with it. A few weeks back, I had trouble starting the notebook up as it kept showing a flashing folder with a question mark. Although I still managed to log in eventually, it's been temperamental since then.

Yesterday it was running extremely slow (everything was slow: all apps took forever) so I removed all the films I had downloaded and lots of photos thinking it might be memory space and restarted it. I also have stopped any apps from opening at login. The flashing folder with the question mark came up again so I restarted it again and I eventually was able to log in (although it took forever!). Now it is just super slow and I can't even send an email without safari quitting unexpectedly.

Here's my notebook info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
Serial Number (system): 34030R3YATM
Hardware UUID: FE1C99E7-8BB8-5C30-B8A2-B1C013EFA271
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Go easy on me, I don't understand computers at all!

Oh yeah also I don't have the startup disc to reinstall as I moved to Spain and left it in England.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Yes, your Harddrive is failing, ENSURE YOU HAVE A CURRENT BACKUP. Don't forget your Library Folder as it has your Mail, AddressBook and Calendars.

Then get it to an Apple Service Centre near you for a replacement.

Ask a Question