Old emac

Reaction score
Somebody very kindly has given us an old emac.... I have never really used a mac before.

We have turned it on and that is fine. Connected via ethernet to internet but from there we seem to have a problem.

I know the internet is working as I went to a web page that we could view fine.

However, Yahoo says the browser needs updating - but I have been in to software updates and it says that all software is up to date.

When I go to the apple download page it just hangs.

Facebook - it only loads the top blue bit and the rest is white and then it crashes.

I know it is really old - handwritten in the manual is system version Mac OS x 10.3.4 (7L33)

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,

From what you say this sounds to be a 2004 machine so quite old now, or it could even be a 2002 model with an upgraded OS, therefore Jaguar or Panther. Just goes to show how Macs last.:D
Could you give us some specs, re MHz and Ram.
Im thinking an old version of Opera would work well, have a look here http://mac.oldapps.com/opera.php?old_opera=14 Mac oldapps for version 9

Reaction score
Well.... from the handwritten notes in the book it says this:

Processor 1.25 ghz power pc G4
Memory 256 mb ddb sd ram
bus speed 167 mhz
boot rom version 4.8.2f1
L2 cache per cpu 512 mb

Is any of this any good? If not then you will need to tell me how to find the info you need. I am windows born and bred I am afraid!!!

Don't need it to do too much but it would be fun to be able to play around with it but we really do need internet. We have other computers and laptops to do all our proper work on!!!:)

Reaction score
Well from the specs you have given all should be fine, but try changing the search engine to Bing or Google.
When you say have internet, if you type a www address I take it the page loads, and it is just the search engine that has issues.
Would love a working machine like this to play with.:D

Reaction score
Yes - google seems ok but Yahoo - where we get most of our emails isn't liking it and Apple isn't liking it. Am going to try Opera as you suggest. Is a bit like tinkering with an old etype!!

Reaction score
Hi Kristell,

Is a bit like tinkering with an old etype!!
Yes when you think how cutting edge this machine was when it came on to the market and its price tag.

Reaction score
More trouble than it is worth. If anyone in uk would like it they can have it.... Will need to collect it from Bedfordshire.

Reaction score
I can't respond to pm as I don't have enough posts - but happy to hang on to it for a while but do want to get shot asap!

Reaction score
Hi,

As I said in one of my posts I would love to play with a working Emac. But I live and work both in Switzerland and the UK, that said have a work window in mid Dec down on the south coast of England. I will be in the UK for four days but its a tough / tight schedule so could not guarantee being able to get to Bedfordshire which is north of London.

Not sure about contact info privately as you can not PM, but I could post on this thread nearer the time re the possibility of my collecting the eMac. Fully understand if you want it gone before then.

Reaction score
Don't know if you will get this message - are you still interested as I have been holding on to it for you - if not then I will get rid.

Reaction score
Hi,
Really disappointed as I defiantly will not have the opportunity to get up to your location, I do appreciated you have hung on to it. But no sell it.

Ask a Question