Office 2019 Home/Student and multiple computers?

Reaction score
Dumb question here.

Yes, everyone says you can install this on PRECISELY ONE COMPUTER. But what does that mean? Does that mean that you will actually be prevented by loading it on multiple computers, in that the system will work for only ONE serial number? Or does it mean that it can only be USED on one computer at a time. Many packages do the latter, and you get around it just by killing the internet connection so one computer doesn't know the other is using it. I have several machines that I only use one at a time, and I'd rather not pay separately to upgrade each one.

If you're getting the system on optical disks, how would Office even know that you're installing it on two separate machines? Who's telling who what? Now, if you're downloading the whole thing, Microsoft can clearly figure out who you're downloading it to.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

"Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Microsoft 365 subscription plans."

Microsoft applications "phone home" during serialization, which registers the software to one Mac. If you don't have Internet access when you install, it will either run in demo mode and connect when Wi-Fi is active the next time, or not launch until it is serialized/registered.

I am not sure how the current versions work, since I don't run Microsoft or Adobe software on my personal Macs, due to the bloat and subscription-based models they have moved to.

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured it had to be something like that. "Phone home during serialization." Oh well. I've gave up on Adobe long ago, and I kinda like LibreOffice, but I haven't quite given up MS Office yet.

Reaction score
Not sure on the current versions but I had Office 2010 on PC and Office 2016 on my mac and I read that it was OK top have them installed on 2 machines each (it actually said a desktop and a laptop)

Reaction score
That's interesting. I'd be happy to do Office 2016 instead of Office 2019, but all the ads I see for it specify ONE USER, ONE MACHINE.

Microsoft itself says this

That being said, there are a few rogue websites that seem to say otherwise.

No question that Office 365, which is the subscription version, can be used on many machines.

Last edited:

Ask a Question