Mojave vs OpenOffice

Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone have experience with OpenOffice under Mojave? Up till now (with High Sierra) I have no problems in creating and reading my (many) OpenOffice (- mostly .odt and .ods -) files. Will that be the same with Mojave?
Thanks for your replies! Dirk

Reaction score
I have posted this before. This site is a good one to visit to obtain the status of applications and compatibility was various Operating Systems:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

If you put OpenOffice in the search box, it will show compatibility with Mojave as yellow, which means "Some problems". I suspect they are working on it, and that it will be compatible soon.

Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone have experience with OpenOffice under Mojave? Up till now (with High Sierra) I have no problems in creating and reading my (many) OpenOffice (- mostly .odt and .ods -) files. Will that be the same with Mojave?
Thanks for your replies! Dirk

Greetings denetoet.... Open Office seems fine with Mojave... just tested a text doc.

Reaction score
I haven't encountered any problems with OpenOffice's word processor, but I haven't given its spreadsheet much of a workout since upgrading to Mojave. I've had to put a few pretty complex documents together and it works great.

For that matter, Mojave has been the greatest macOS upgrade to ever come down the pike. It's fast, it's stable, has great features and is really easy on the eyes with the across-the-board dark mode. Best of all, I can still use all of my Adobe Creative Suite software! I keep waiting for "the other shoe to drop," and so far, I'm one happy camper.

I avoided High Sierra like the plague after trying it out for a couple of weeks on my MBP. It made that machine crawl like an old PowerBook 5300 and just wasn't as stable as Sierra 10.12.x. Much of my Adobe software didn't run well at all under HS and half the features in Photoshop and Illustrator either wouldn't load or would crash the entire system under HS, even after reinstalling it with SIP disabled. And, yes, I had to reinstall it again after upgrading to Mojave, and had to do so with SIP turned off, but all of the tools, brushes, palettes, etc., work better now than even under much older macOS versions, even the third party add-ons.

Reaction score
Once again, Allen, excellent report! Your positive comments about Mojave (especially the speed) have me salivating! And except for Tech Tool Pro, all my third-party software I use either is compatible with Mojave as is, or have updates available (actually, it's only Onyx that I would need to download and install after upgrading). Even though my system is in excellent health (both of my Macs, and all of my SSDs), I am still going to wait until Micromat has the Mojave-compatible version of Tech Tool Pro available, which appears to be early December.

As it is, OS 10.14.1 is in the third phase of beta testing, and thus OO 10.14.1 should be out soon. Also, as I have mentioned before, I suspect that by the time I upgrade Tech Tool Pro, I am betting 10.14.2 will be out.

In any event, thanks for the report. Keep them coming (if you have the time). They are definitely useful.

Reaction score
I've not had any dire need for TTP, and I have Intech's Speed Tools as an alternative.

I was more worried about CarbonCopyCloner and the only hiccup I encountered was getting my Recovery partition to update. I relaunched CCC and when it gave me the Recovery partition warning, I saw there was a button to upgrade/update it. Problem solved.

Just for kicks, I did a little experiment. I booted from another machine and treated my MBP's drive as though it were an external device and simply cloned it in its entirety to another target destination. (I knew I'd eventually find some interesting uses for all those bare hard drives I've got in a drawer on my desk! Those little hot-swappable drive docks are worth far more than what they cost!)

At any rate, that method worked like a charm. And the machine I used was my iMac running Sierra.

Ask a Question