not tech-savvy person has problem with display, PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
I admit I'm not the most tech-savvy guy out there. In fact, other than the stuff I specifically use the computer for (internet, home recording, video editing) I know NOTHING about how the machine works. So please bear this in mind when answering me. Too much jargon will only confuse me. Seriously, you'll need to walk me through this like a 2-year-old. I'm that bad.Anyway, here's my story: I have a Mac Pro desktop, running OS X 10.6.8. Because I do a lot of video editing as I said, I decided a 2-monitor set-up would be very useful. My principal monitor is a Sceptre 32" hi-def flatscreen, my secondary is just a plain square Flatron. Well, a couple of weeks ago I was having trouble watching something on netflix (I've since realized that it was just because I had the window maximized partly on the Flatron so that when I tried to go full-screen the computer got confused and displayed it all wonky). Foolishly I went into my display settings to try and 'fix' the problem (which wasn't actually a problem anyway). I'm not at all sure what I did, but ever since that night the Sceptre is just showing a black screen and a message saying 'Not Supported'. I've tried restarting, I've trying unhooking/hooking back up, I've diddled every which way with the display settings, and nothing. I called the Mac help line, they sent me to the Sceptre hotline; called them, they said it was a Mac issue. No one has been able to discover a solution. The Flatron functions fine, but not having the big screen slows my workflow waaaaaaaaaaaay down.Can someone with a great deal of patience and understanding please help me out?? I'm getting really stressed about this.......

Reaction score
have you swapped where the the screen cables plug into the Mac over.
Okay, I was wrong. I did that, and now both monitors work! HOORAY!! BUT...now the Flatron is functioning as my principal monitor, while the Sceptre is my secondary. Any idea how I switch 'em back around? I don't see the option to do that in display preferences...

Reaction score
Okay, update: I googled on my problem, and now my monitors are back to normal, with the arrangement I wanted! I always feel so foolish when the problems I have are so easily solved. I promise I'm not such a dodo, it's just that my talents lie elsewhere. Anywho, thank you SO MUCH, Kaveman!!!

Ask a Question