Non-functioning WD MyPassport external drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro running Catalina.

My WD external drive has become invisible to my macbook. The drive powers up and spins when plugged into the USB port but does not appear on the Locations in Finder. I have not tried using a different connecting lead (the drive has a notched connector - not sure of the type name).

Has anyone come across this kind of symptom and am I right in thinking it is curtains for the drive, or are there recovery options?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Chris

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

-Which exact model MyPassport?
-Can you upload a photo of the connection ports on the drive?
-Did you have any issue with it previous to this?

C

Reaction score
I just had a My Passport drive die this week. It lasted 18 months from time of purchase.

As it happens, we're in the process of taking an old G4 and G5 tower to the recycle place right now. Both 20 years old, drives still working. Well, they were until I took them out.

Man, those G5 towers were a work of art. Basically worthless today, but still a beautiful object. And built like a tank. I think you could probably toss it off the roof of a two story house and it would still work. It was interesting to recall what Apple was in to before they started going nutty with the thin and light craze.

Reaction score
Hi,

-Which exact model MyPassport?
-Can you upload a photo of the connection ports on the drive?
-Did you have any issue with it previous to this?

C
Hi,

It is a WD My Passport 1TB drive - not sure of the exact model No. It has a number 3713B, and S/N WX61EB22EM640 - It's about 6 years old. Just one port.

I was using it to backup with Time Machine without any problems, then one fine day it just gave up, apparently.

Here are some photos:-

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpeg
    IMG_5012.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5014.jpeg
    IMG_5014.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5016.jpg
    IMG_5016.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 38

Ask a Question