Noisy Mac Pro

Reaction score
A few days ago I bought a Mac Pro - having had a Mac Mini for maybe 10-12 years. The main reason I liked the Mac Mini was that it's unbelievably quiet. I asked around various places and the general consensus was that a Mac Pro, whilst not as silent as the Mini, was definitely a quiet machine. The problem is - it's not.!

When I first power up, it's absolutely silent for about 15 mins. Then I hear some low-level fan noise which just gets louder and louder. Once the machine's been on for about 35 mins it's literally like having an electric kettle boiling beside me.

Can anyone tell me if that's normal for a Mac Pro?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which exact model of Mac Pro?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-What are the devices connected to it?

C

Reaction score
Hi there - it's a Mac Pro version 6.1 with 10 cores (2017 model) running OS-X Mojave. there are no devices connected to it currently, apart from my Asus monitor, type ProArt PA32UC.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Initially, this sounds like it may be a software issue.

-Any third-party utilities like MacKeeper or antivirus installed?
-What applications are normally running, and what versions are they?
-Did you setup as new, or perform a migration from an older Mac?

You could try the following:
-How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Also, it might be a good idea to check Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor to see which process may be using a lot of CPU cycles.

C

Reaction score
I'll try your suggestions Cory but it's literally a brand new machine and I haven't had time to install any s/ware on it so far. Also - it shouldn't (in theory) be a virus because I haven't even connected it to the internet yet (I'm typing this from my Windows machine).

I just called into my local Apple Store and they said the fan might be clogged with dust maybe - but once again, that seems pretty unlikely for a brand new machine...

Reaction score
Aaaargh!!! I feel SOOO embarrassed but I'll leave this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem...

I just took another look at the Mac Pro on my desk and realised it was... upside down !!! :oops:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
:oops::oops::oops:

Yeah, definitely not normal for a brand new Mac Pro. Funny they would suggest dust in the fan for a brand new unit. Geez.

Glad it's resolved.

C

Ask a Question