no sleep shutdown

Reaction score
I have a I Mac running tiger when i try to put it to sleep or shut down the computer comes back on 5 sec later the only way to shut down is to push the BIG Button. I have called support and they have gone through all the usual checks the last thing that was done was to go to HD>Library> and remove system configuration this worked only one day then the problem was back. the support people now want to go in and do a archive install , does this have to be done or is there a simpler way to fix the problem thanks for any help (Email address removed by moderator; spammers can harvest addresses.)

Reaction score
Do you mind confirming what "the usual checks" were? Did you try repairing permissions? Did you check the Energy Saver preferences (System preferences > Energy Saver)? Was this problem something that started happening recently? Do you recall any recent changes you made to your system that could have affected this behavior, e.g., installing new RAM? Any recent applications or any application that forces your Mac to stay awake?

Reaction score
all cheques that could be done have been done mac support went through the whole list more than once. the only downloads that i have are the mac ones the last thing that was put in was more ram that was a year ago and i have not had any problems with it I realy dont like the thought of RE install

Reaction score
I don't blame you feeling unsure about the reinstall. I'd only try that as a last resort, too. What happens when you quit all applications? Does the Mac still stay awake? With all applications not running, have you tried opening Activity Monitor (it's in your Applications folder > Utilities)? Run Activity Monitor an check the window to see what "process name" is keeping your CPU running. For example, you can click the column tab "CPU" to see what is using most of your CPU. Is that number unusually high? I don't know if this will trigger anything, but I'm suspecting some hidden activity or application is running in the background and forcing the Mac awake. For example, under the "Options" in Energy Saver, there are a couple of check boxes to keep the Mac awake.

Reaction score
thanks for responding I will check the monitor tomorrow and let you know you feel that a program that is running could cause this problem ?

Reaction score
That is one possibility. For example, if the Energy Saver setting is checked to keep your Mac awake for internet checks, then your Mac would stay awake.

Reaction score
I may !! have found the problem it happend again when I try to hook up the router to the other computer If I switched to a wireless router would that solve the problem (if thats the problem)

Reaction score
It sounds like the internet connection is the reason your Mac won't go to sleep. I don't know if a wireless router would solve the problem. You'd still be connecting to the internet. However, there is one way to find out: test a wireless router and see what happens. :) I get the feeling, though, that if the problem is connecting to the internet, it wouldn't matter whether you're wired or wireless. Let us know how it goes, please.

Reaction score
thanks much!! for your time I disconnected the router and things seem to be getting back to normal I live north of Ellioit lake ont sudbury is 200km away next time I go there I will take this router and have it checked will let you know Barry

Ask a Question