No HD space left!

Reaction score
I have no Hard drive space left. I have very little media, photos, videos, music, and actual documents on my mac, but the Hard drive keeps getting bigger. I will attach a file with the information.
I keep getting messages that my hd is full. Help!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 9.11.15 AM.pdf
    58.6 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
First, what is your exact Mac model?

Secondly, what exact Mac OS are you using?

Myself, for all of my drives, the screen for me just shows "Other", and for my internal drive (a 256 gig SSD), it shows that I am using 130 gig. I am using the latest version of El Capitan, OS 10.11.1, and from what I understand, it does not "break down" the stuff on drives like whatever OS you are using (at least through "About This Mac"). Those same categories, however, are available through the El Capitan version of Disk Utility, and for my machine, all those additional categories show 0 kb used. But, for my drive, there are Applications, Movies, and Audio files, and yet I am only using 130 gig total. But, the "Other" category on your drive is showing an awfully large amount of space used.

I have seen posts from other users here with similar issues, and some more knowledgeable users (Cory, where are you!) have offered helpful suggestions. Hopefully, one of them will post a possible solution for you. But, just in case, have you been making any backups? If you have, there is one thing you could try that might help.

First, launch Disk Utility from your internal drive, and see what it says regarding 1) Verifying the Volume, 2) Verifying each visible partition, and 3) Verifying and Repairing Permissions. If 1) and/or 2) show any issues, Disk Utility cannot repair them at that point. You'll need to launch Disk Utility from the Recovery Partition (assuming you are running OS 10.7 or greater). To get to that partition, start up your machine, but hold down the Command and R keys simultaneously. You will then get a menu, from which you can select Disk Utility. This link explains all that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

So, the machine is not that "old", and thus the hard drive should be OK.

Again, I ask if you have been making any backups at all. Also, have you done any maintenance/cleanup on your internal drive at all? All of that information is definitely needed.

And, I emphasize again that you need to be making backups before you use Disk Utility "externally".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I opened Disk Utility and it says that S.M.A.R.T is failing.
I save old files/ pics/ docs on an external hard drive but don't back up entire cpu.

Ask a Question