No connected camera error

Reaction score
Greetings all, hope you are all weathering the COVID-19 storm okay. I'm posting to see if anyone knows who to make sure an iMac camera ALWAYS connects when Facetime is opened? I've learned how to activate the camera using Terminal, then entering "sudo killall VDCAssistant" (I just saw that "sudo killall ApplecameraAssistant" can also be entered, but haven't had a chance to try that yet), but for the most part, when I re-open Facetime at a later time (sometimes the same day, sometimes the next day), the camera doesn't connect unless I use Terminal again. Other things I have checked are that the camera is allowed under Parental Controls, and also allowing the Facetime app to control my computer under Privacy. I'm running 10.11.6 on OS X El Capitan.

Thanks in advance. :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Hope you and yours are all healthy and safe as well.

The built-in iSight camera on a Mac should always activate when you use FaceTime or Photo Booth. I have heard of those Terminal commands, but you shouldn't have to use them each time you want to access the camera.

A few troubleshooting questions:
-Which exact model Mac?
-Did you recently upgrade to OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan?
-How long has the issue been happening?
-Any physical or liquid damage that you know of?
-Have you tried an SMC or NVRAM reset?

C

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for your response. Not sure what you mean by exact model? It's a desktop iMac, 21.5 inch, from 2015. I have not recently upgraded; that was done a few years ago, and I believe it's the furthest my computer can be upgraded. This issues just started, however, no camera apps have been used on the computer for a long time, so it's impossible to say how long the problem has existed. No damage of any kind has occurred. I have not tried SMC or NVRAM, was not aware of those options. Due to the pandemic, my wife has newly started using Facetime for teaching, and since we can get the camera working when needed with Terminal, I'm wary of trying anything which might change that for the worse (don't know if SMC or NVRAM falls into that category.) I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks again.

Ask a Question