no cable access on my power pc

Reaction score
I have a power pc 9600 and the only intrnet connection is a phone jack. Hoe do I connect to high speed internet via cable company?

Reaction score
Hi and weclome :)

According to vintage Macs it is possible this model has an ethernet connection (RJ45) - do yours have this? If it does, then you can use a router and connect that way. :)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

from memory this had an AUI connector so you will need a Transceiver to connect it to the router...the tranceiver will then give you the RJ45 needed to connect to the router as Kyomii suggests above.

It should look like this...

APL-4600.jpg

Nice machine...I've had a few of them over the years.

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Actually, the 8600/9600 Power Macs had both an AAUI and an RJ-45 10Base-T Ethernet connection on the back. Simple as getting cable Internet server, connecting the modem, running a CAT-5/6 cable to the Mac, configuring your network prefs, and you're up and running.

C

Reaction score
Reaction score
I apologize, I guess that old age thing is catching on. The Mac i was referring to is a performa 6200cd not the machine to which i previously referred.
This mac has a telephone modem and i need a cable modem. Am i going to need a driver to use a cable modem and where can i find the stuff i need?Sorry for the giant gaff.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ooof...now that will require some research. The Performa 6200 series didn't have any type of jack for networking...only a regular modem. No, there isn't any software that will enable the telephone modem to act as a cable modem...totally different technologies.

Will get back,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There were some optional cards that could be installed to allow network/Ethernet connectivity:
  • Apple Ethernet CS Thin Coax Card Order No. M2708ZLL/A
  • Apple Ethernet CS Twisted-Pair Card Order No. M3065Z/A
  • Apple Ethernet CS AAUI Card Order No. M3066Z/A
They'll be very difficult to find these days...I will look around.

C

Ask a Question