Newbie: dual boot or emulator

Reaction score
Hello

I'm a complete newbie to a Mac, with a newish mini...wish I had done this years ago...spoooooky quiet!!!

I have used MSoft all my life and hated it....moved to Linux Mint 5 yrs ago, and love it, very zippy and runs like an OS should. However when it goes south it really goes south. and needs a lot of command line/terminal stuff...which I can't deal with when it doesn't work....Luckily there is an excellent forum

My question is about peaceful coexistence with Mac/Win 10. Sometimes I just could not find an app that worked on linux, so I always used a dual boot. Msoft being the bully it is, frequently trashed the linux partition, or took over the whole computer.

Can I set up a dual boot on the mini, with win installed only on an external drive?...or am I inviting further invasion by the adventurous mr. Gates?? Or should I run win in an emulator off the external drive and not have a dual boot?...seems safer....

newbie with no idea

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Reaction score
I do not think you can boot to windows on an external drive. Although I did do this a year or two ago LINK
When my wife needed access to windows 10, I used Bootcamp on her iMac and it worked very well indeed.
Parallels would be another option for you and would save rebooting each time you needed to swap operating system.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It would depend on the Mac mini model, as the Apple Silicon M1 Macs cannot run Windows in Boot Camp or in a virtual machine emulation in Parallels/VMware Fusion.

If your Mac mini is an older Intel-based model, you can run Windows. You could actually use Parallels/VMware Fusion and store the virtual machine file on an external drive.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It would depend on the Mac mini model, as the Apple Silicon M1 Macs cannot run Windows in Boot Camp or in a virtual machine emulation in Parallels/VMware Fusion.

If your Mac mini is an older Intel-based model, you can run Windows. You could actually use Parallels/VMware Fusion and store the virtual machine file on an external drive.

C

hillbilly work around?

Ask a Question